Author Topic: "Second Chance" Project  (Read 19304 times)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: "Second Chance" Project
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 11:41:17 PM »
9/1/16
Ok update time folks. I have removed both fork legs and swapped over my undamaged replacement lower fork leg. Changed the oil in both legs as I have no idea what oil the PO has used. Forks now back in place.

I had a starting problem as the clutch starter seemed not to want to engage and sounded like a bag of spanners. (see video link)

https://youtu.be/pNQa_kcCmcE

I took off the stator cover, and a visual of the starter cogs said all was well. I consulted good ole youtube and again found my answers there. I managed to pull the stator assembly off to reveal the starter clutch mechanism underneath. All held in by 3 screws that had the heads "nicked" to prevent them from turning. I was surprised that all three screws were loose but held firm by the nicks. I stripped the rollers and removed the springs. I think the pictures will tell the story. One good thing was by watching the video I realised the PO had placed the starter cogs thrust washer on the completely wrong side of the cogs. Ejit!

Now a rebuild kit from our friend DSS was £29 +vat+P&P that almost totals £40 all in. Fook that for a bunch of soldiers, I'm from  Scottish decent and a bit tight with the purse strings. I only want to replace the freakin springs. Well a bit of digging on Ebay resulted in 3 springs for £6.00. Result!  ;D
I fitted them today, buttoned it all up but with a little bit of thread lock just in case. First turn of the key and it sparked into life again.
I'm so glad that all happened whilst it was on the bench and not in the middle of nowhere in the piddling rain as my luck would have it! ;)

Carbs still need to be properly set up, but that will be one of the last things I do after the final stripdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcThzx0-vBU

Link for the springs. 30mm long
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331335690881?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=540529797465&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
16/01/16
At long last the build is starting to move, been waiting over a year for this. All wiring has been ripped out and binned.

All useless brackets and fixing points are no more.

Fitted the electrics box and mounted the ignition key. Oil tank moved slightly and fixed in a cleaner manner.
Bracket for the rectifier mounted so it's hidden below the seat where it wont be seen.

I have decided to ditch the solo seat and go with a proper old skool look seat. I know my poor back will thank me for that

move in time to come.  ::) Seat pan now made and mounted.

Rear mudguard had been cut to allow for the chain and chainguard but it wasn't finished nicely so a filler panel was

inserted to make it look like it was not an afterthought. (you can just see it to the rear of the oil tank)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 10:57:59 PM »
I am putting forward controls on my chop and I am binning the current set up of a long single ugly rod running the length of the bike and want to make the rear rod "A" step to the inside of the rear frame and "B" to the outside of the frame. My technical question is this....Can anyone advise me what diameter rod should I use to keep a minimum profile but remain strong enough to stay in shape under heavy braking. The last thing I would want is the push rod "B" to buckle or bend under stress. I have scoured the net to find pictures but have come up blank, most forwards run a disc at the rear, mine is a drum. Any advice much appreciated.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »
You could probably do this more easily and neatly with a cable.

Offline Krzychu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 01:01:15 PM »
Hi Mike, my starter sounds exactly the same as Yours. Repair kit on its way to me. I got if of fleabay for £24,95 complete with the springs, rollers and all.
Love the face when You got Yours going 😜 Sounds insane 👍
LwG✋

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 11:31:45 PM »
24/1/16
Beter view of the filler panel.

Old battery holder.

New mounting for battery box.

Battery box mounted. Had great fun fitting this, no room to swing a cat.

Getting there slowly.

Nano indicators fitted. They hide just in front of the sissy bar so are barely noticeable.

Coil cover.

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 09:38:39 PM »
18/2/16

Number plate brackets fitted.

Front brake caliper nightmare. Not the prettiest looking but need function over form.

You can buy off the shelf stuff no problem, the problem is the things never fit properly.

Not the nicest looking bracket, again poor chrome.
You can't really see it in the picture, the rail second from left has been welded wonky, so it has to be removed and

refixed. so........

......off it must come!

Lugs are made and tapped internally for bolting from underneath.

That looks a lot better!

Sits right now. I can fit at least my sandwich box to this now for them long trips.

Rear brake pivot arm. Big lug to top off picture was removed as not needed.

Rear brake pivot mounted through new gusset and brass bush insert.

Rear brake pivot nearly finished.

Oooooh looky, a late Chrissy prezzy from me to me! Me bum is going to like this, stuffed with gel pads to soften the bumps.

Making sparks means we are that little bit closer to our goal.

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »
I really like the the drag pipes! Did you buy them from somewhere? Keep it going!!

Noelia

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 10:20:36 PM »
I really like the the drag pipes! Did you buy them from somewhere? Keep it going!!

Noelia
I had them made for me. Information on first page I think!

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »

Noelia
I had them made for me. Information on first page I think!

No much info about the pipes! Can I have the contact and how much you paid for them?

Thank you!!

Noelia

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 07:04:13 PM »
They were made as a one off by a guy on a farm. He is not a shop as such, took 4 months to make.  :( No jigs or anything to make more.
He had my bike to build them on. Cost me £450.00.

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 10:21:55 PM »

They were made as a one off by a guy on a farm. He is not a shop as such, took 4 months to make.  :( No jigs or anything to make more.
He had my bike to build them on. Cost me £450.00.

4 Months and £450 ouch!!! The look real nice  but:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161212979472

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131731800742

I don't know about quality though :)

Noelia

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 11:33:08 PM »
I had seen those but as I don't have a standard frame I didn't want to go down that route and find they didn't fit. Mine are also made from stainless steel not chromed.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
  • I haven't a clue what I'm doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2016, 08:00:20 AM »
Like it. Sucker for a chop. I am considering nano indicators, but unsure as yet. Looked at your photo to see how they look and still no idea. Can't find them.  ;D
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 04:25:45 PM »
Thats looking great mike, i do like a chop myself but just cant get on with hard tails as my back has been ruined by too many years in the building game, keep the pictures coming fella
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal