Author Topic: CB350F Restoration by royhall (NOW FINISHED)  (Read 43849 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
CB350F Restoration by royhall (NOW FINISHED)
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:22:07 AM »
Hi all. Since we have a new thread for projects, and I cant sleep, I thought I would give it a go! Not done this before so stick with me, I will sort the mess later as I learn. ;D

The 350 was bought unseen (I know) off eBay due to it being fairly complete and VERY cheap. The speedo and the USA paperwork say the bike has done 8061 miles. I don't think so, personally I would put it at more like 38000. Hooked up a good battery and a few squirts of carb cleaner had it firing for a couple of seconds, so there's hope. Obviously the thing wont run as it's well gummed up, and wouldn't risk the engine trying anyway. But anyway, I think it's a good starting point.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

One item I am unsure about are the clocks. All the 350's I have seen so far have the warning lights mounted on a centre console. Mine appears to have just plain handlebar clamps. The frame number suggests it's an early bike so maybe it was changed later? Cant find any info on this so if anybody knows what that's all about, give me a nod.

Got the strip going and the wiring is a mess!

Anyway will have to sort the wiring at a later date. The bike came apart fairly easily mainly thanks to liberal amounts of PlusGas. Have got the engine on the bench now ready for a full strip down. Was hoping to just do the top end, but from what I have found so far I think a full strip down is the safer way to go.

Will post some more as the restoration moves on and time allows. Let me know if I'm boring you or you've seen it all before. Cheers all.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:07:16 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: CB350F Restoration by royhall
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
I reckon a PO has deleted the warning lights console.   You've got to have a low warning light at the very least.   Some of the earlier Hondas has them in one of the clocks, but not on yours.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:44:24 AM »
Cheers Mike. Strangely I got some replacement clocks from DK that look like they have the lights in the clocks. Have tried to check this but cant find any info at all. DK are insisting they are 350f clocks. Will post some pictures of the replacements this afternoon. May be imagining it. :-\
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »
Mystery solved, I think. The replacement clocks that DK sent out are not 350F although the insist they are. Guess they are going back and I'm on the lookout for some decent clocks and a Warning light panel & harness.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »
Great project roy , although i know nothing about the 350f, i will be watching your progress
pete

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:17:10 AM »
The CB350f gauges are angled drive, the ones in the image are straight ones and these have only one bulb to illuminate the gauges. As far as I recall there should be two. I would suggest the ones sent by DK are an early 350 twin and I would have thought with the number of 350F's that DK have though their hands they would know they were wrong. If you look on ebay USA there are quite a few 350f gauges so at the very least you will be able to see  the correct ones, fair to say those listed are rough but could be restored.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:26:09 AM »
Thanks Kent (can I call you that). Strangely I have just posted a thread about these clocks to see if somebody in the know could identify them. We must have been typing at the same time. They are most definitely not 350F, I think they must have got wrongly labeled at their warehouse, as I have never had a problem with DK before. Just looking for a model range they came from so I can stick em back on eBay. Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:53:26 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
Been a busy weekend of stripping bike parts and bagging up.

Got then engine on the bench at last, doesn't look too corroded so should split okay.

The head, barrels and pistons are burned black. Lots of evidence of piston ring failure. Think a re-bore and new pistons coming up soon.

Gearbox looks good so just the cush drive rubbers and seals there really. Bearings feel like new.

That's the engine apart, now for the frame to get it out for powder coating. Will need to look into finding a good painter for the coloured bits.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:07:53 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 09:49:29 PM »
Thats my favourite part taking things apart, then they tend to stay like that for a long time
pete

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
Engine moving along nicely now, just waiting for the German guy to get the bits to me. Bit of a dilemma about changing the shells whilst its apart. The originals don't look bad and with the price being a bit hefty I'm tempted to put them back. Is that a false economy. Anyway, the casings have been bead blasted and cleaned, and are ready for paint.
Engine moving along nicely now, just waiting for the German guy to get the bits to me. Bit of a dilemma about changing the shells whilst its apart. The originals don't look bad and with the price being a bit hefty I'm tempted to put them back. Is that a false economy. Anyway, the casings have been bead blasted and cleaned, and are ready for paint.

Engine moving along nicely now. Just waiting for the German guy to get the bits to me. Bit of a dilemma about changing the shells whilst its apart. The originals don't look bad and the price being a bit hefty I'm tempted to put them back. Is that a false economy? Anyway, the casings and castings have been bead blasted and cleaned, and are ready for paint.

Found a new cleaner/degreaser that's water based and works like a miracle. Cant really stress how good this stuff is, I was amazed. Have been using paraffin up to now, but its smelly and dirty stuff that's hard to get rid of when your done with it. Also the wife wont let me in the house when I've been cleaning parts, says I smell like a petrol station. It's a water based detergent that says non hazardous on the tub. But its not Fairy liquid, and its definitely not "Kind to your hands" wear gloves.

While waiting for bits, I had a go at alloy polishing. The alternator cover was accident damaged with some very deep grazes in the bottom of it. Was going to replace it with a DK item, but thought I would have a go first as if I scrap it nothings lost. This is what 4 hours of work now looks like (the cover plate is new DSS). Love it when you can reclaim a scrap item back to looking like new again.

Just waiting for the re-bore and the bits to come back. Next job is to paint the cases and prepare for the engine build. Any comments or advice on the shell bearings, or any other comments on anything would be very welcome (always learning from more experienced). Back soon with more.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:11:06 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 05:25:11 PM »
Good work Roy, I'm just waiting for the powder coating to come back then I'll start the next bit.
It has become quite clear that a lot of my 350 is junk. So it will take a bit longer and cost a few quid more.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
Post some pics of the bearing surfaces of the shells(make sure you know where they came from) and i will give you an honest opinion, and I am not a politician so it will be

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »
Will sort that tomorrow morning Bryan. Have got them in separate bags labelled top/bottom numbers 1 to 5. Wife says I'm obsessed?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 01:10:27 AM »
Definately not obssesed as they could well be different sizes between journals

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal