Author Topic: CB350F Restoration by royhall (NOW FINISHED)  (Read 43840 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: CB350F Restoration by royhall
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2015, 07:38:29 PM »
Yes I think there are two at the back. I have some 8mm dowels but I cant for the life of me find where they fit. Should be the same on the 400 so somebody will hopefully know. With a bit of luck somebody will put me straight before tomorrow so I can carry on getting the engine finished this weekend.

Should be picking up the powder coating tomorrow. So hopefully if I can get the engine together tomorrow and Saturday, will try and get it back in the frame.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 08:47:52 AM »
Don't know if this is any help ....
The 400 Parts List does appear to show 4 dowels (2 off 8x14, 2 off 10x14, parts 330 and 331). Not clear where they go though.
The Haynes manual in the section on reassembling the crankcases says 'replace the two dowels' (section 44.3).
Member andut is rebuilding his 400 engine, maybe he can help.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »
I cant trust the Haynes manual for the 350 as its written for 350/500 and the engine they are using is a 500. Although for the main components they are the same, you cannot trust the detailed stuff as there are just so many differences. The Clymer manual is similar in that its written for 350/550, although in that one there are separate diagrams for the two.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »
I know what you mean about Haynes manuals. I think it was the one for the CB450 (Black Bomber) that neglected to mention putting the kickstart shaft back in when rebuilding, then you realise there is a spare hole in the crankcases and some bits left over .... fortunately before I had gone too much further. Wish I still had that one.
The Haynes manual for the 400 is written for the 400 and 550 and has pictures specific to both. Unfortunately there seem to be none that show any dowels. I mentioned what it said as I saw it and it was the only reference I found.
Best I can suggest is contacting andut to see if he can offer any suggestions.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
Cheers Chris will send him a PM. Was hoping to get on with it this afternoon. Never mind its better right tomorrow as wrong today.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »
Powder coating came back today, 9 day turn around is pretty good I would say.
Looks a nice quality job and all for £120 and just 10 minutes from home.
Am very pleased with it.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Should look smart against the re-plated and stainless fasteners and the new chrome.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:28:31 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »
Looking good Roy

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »
So would I Royall well chuffed with it nice one
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
Did you get an answer on how many crankcase dowels there should be?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »
The general opinion is two 10mm dowels at the front corners. As I couldn't find anywhere else to put a dowel I went with that. Appears to have gone together okay, but would have been happier with one at the back. Wouldn't mind but I stripped it, didn't think I would need to photograph it or make a note as that was one of the obvious things. Two months later I cant remember a thing about stripping it, good job I photographed just about everything else.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »
Got the engine together over the weekend. Looks like two dowels are all that's required after all. Very pleased with the way it went. The engines had the full house: Main/big end shells, gearbox bearings, primary chain, cam chain, cush drive rubbers, pistons/re-bore, 2 valves, 2 rockers, all gaskets and seals etc.

Used loads of graphite assembly paste on all the shells and cam gear. Used a bit of oil as well as I just couldn't stop old habits. Belts and braces so should be okay.

Can you tell it was just Fathers Day!

Was a bit nervous about getting the gear selection mechanism back correctly. Don't know why I worried, turned out to be the easiest part.

New pistons and re-bore went together no problem. The rings appear much easier to get into the bores than on the 750. Remembered to give the oil control jets a really good clean this time. ::)

So that's the engine back together, went much easier than I had imagined. The 350 appears to be a well built and thought out engine. Next challenge is getting it back in the frame. More soon.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:21:37 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
Decided to tackle getting the engine back into the frame. Should really have waited for my mate to give me a hand on Friday night. But sorry I cant, like an excited child on Christmas night. Had a bit of a think about how to do it myself, and this is how it went. Now I'm just off to get some back ache pills.

Got the engine on it's side and chocked it up with a block of wood. Then lifted the frame over the engine on the bench.

Levelled the frame up a bit and pushed the front footrest bolt into position. Bit of pushing and pulling got the two lower front bolts into place. Just slipped the nuts on to stop the bolts falling out, then stood the frame up on the bench. Note the 6 pan head screws in the sump fixing holes, this was to raise the engine slightly because the starter gear protrudes just below the casting and scrapes on the bench.

One Herculean effort saw me single handed lifting it off the bench onto a piece of carpet on the floor.

I rebuilt the 750 sat on an old bear crate with some 18mm ply and carpet on top. Unfortunately the 350 wouldn't work on it as the side stand bracket hangs down on the left. So out with the woodworking tools and a few modifications followed. The missus says I need to get that driveway redone. Cant see anything wrong with it myself.

All now safe as houses and high enough off the floor to get the wheels on and make working on it a little easier. Got a second bear crate there for sitting on. All the perfect height. Am running out of reasons to buy crates of Warsteiner.

Need to find a painter now and get the bits off to them. Recently realised that I cant get the bike rolling on its wheels without the painting done first. Headlamp ears and fork shrouds will be holding the job up.

Still plenty of other stuff to be going on with.

Stay tuned for the next adventure.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:35:19 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 09:41:30 PM »
Looks fantastic Roy. Your putting my slow build to shame, not had a lot of spare time recently.
I realised the same problem with assembling a rolling chassis. Painting parts has jumped to the front of the queue.
Who did the rebore for you?
Cheers
Tim

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 10:14:01 PM »
Your well on your way with it Tim, were just approaching the jobs in different directions. You'll be there soon (I know what you mean about time, I'm getting some flack for always being in the garage. Apparently I'm obsessed) ;D Gardening this weekend. :(

The re-bore was done by a small machine shop near where I live. The guys called David Burton, he's a real eccentric character but a superb engineer.
I get a fair few bits done by him. He re-ground the back disc on the 750 as it was a bit tram-lined, came back literally better than new for £40.
Cant just remember what he charged me for the re-bore (possibly £80 getting old ya know), but I know it was much less than another quote I had and the job he did was fantastic.

If you want to when your ready, you can post your bits to me and I can drop them in to him, its no problem as its only about 1/4 mile away.

Cheers Roy.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:02:06 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »
Your well on your way with it Tim, were just approaching the jobs in different directions. You'll be there soon (I know what you mean about time, I'm getting some flack for always being in the garage. Apparently I'm obsessed) ;D Gardening this weekend. :(

The re-bore was done by a small machine shop near where I live. The guys called David Burton, he's a real eccentric character but a superb engineer.
I get a fair few bits done by him. He re-ground the back disc on the 750 as it was a bit tram-lined, came back literally better than new for £40.
Cant just remember what he charged me for the re-bore (possibly £80 getting old ya know), but I know it was much less than another quote I had and the job he did was fantastic.

If you want to when your ready, you can post your bits to me and I can drop them in to him, its no problem as its only about 1/4 mile away.

Cheers Roy.

Looking good Roy..

You have just answered mine and JamesH's question. How much is it to re-surface  a CB 750 brake disc? The 750K0 disc  is  different than the later bikes. My bike had the later wheel hub/disc (K1-K6) so I bought a K0 front  wheel complete with correct hub & 'rotor' (disc) from the States but it's surface is slightly scored. I also have the original K1-K6 disk (not badly scored) and a K7 one, (not badly scored) . What do you reckon I should eBay them for BIN ?

Can you also find out the re-bore costs, as I may have some barrels to do off a twin.

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:44:33 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal