Author Topic: 76 F1 SS Cafe Build  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
76 F1 SS Cafe Build
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:31:48 PM »
Hi…  Well after posting a couple of posts for help just on tearing down the F1 I'm finally making progress of sorts!  Frame etc. powder coated by "Triple S" who seemed to have done a fine job. 

I'm now working on the tank…  I'll be using the original as I like the shape - thought about shaping some knee indents but one thing at a time and like I say I like the shape.  I have welded (well at least "One off engineering have, they've been a great help! with bits and pieces regarding the frame) a "monza" cap in place of the original.  Now I've finally stripped it I can crack on with filling the damage caused by retaining straps during it transatlantic crossing >:( and filling in the ground off tabs which retained the badges.

I've also completed the plug for the home made fibreglass seat…  loads of carnauba wax ready applied to lay the fibreglass for the mould - started shaping the foam at the beginning of winter!!!!  finally got there - although the fibreglass thing looks pretty complicated!  wish me luck with that.

Colour wise - I think I'm going the go for something like the old lotus colours - BRG with a yellow strip running down the middle of the tank and seat…  Nothing to flashy.

Anyoldhow - thought I'd start sharing progress with you guys as it's starting to get interesting.

Cheers

Offline dellenty1234

• View Profile
Re: 76 F1 SS Cafe Build
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »
Excellent work so far, isn't it funny how people start in difference places!

How much have you paid for the frame (and swinging arm?) to be powder coated if you don't mind.

Thanks
James
Take it apart anyway he says.....

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:13:06 PM »
Hi James…  Just over £200.00 including stripping (and VAT).

Frame
Swing arm
Battery carrier
Bottom yoke
Brake torque arm
kick stand
engine mounting brackets

They mask all threads etc.

Did a great job!

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:24:35 PM »
Hi Liam did one-off welding do your top yoke for you

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:41:32 PM »
I'm fitting clip-ons so I got them to ground the bar brackets off and alloy weld the holes where the brackets were….  I stripped back the paint to the alloy.  Its now a "brushed alloy" finish.  I'll post a photo of it. 

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:40:52 PM »
Nice work Liam. I do like the shape of the f tanks on a cafe racer...

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 01:23:39 AM »
I talked to him today he said he had done one but it was different to mine is yours a f1

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 05:53:32 PM »
yep mines 76 CB750F1 Super Sport - US import

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal