Author Topic: Tank painter  (Read 5746 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Tank painter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 10:54:49 AM »
The only clue I can give you is around 550GBP for a 750 K0 paint set I had done by a pro who  painted the pinstripes. I basically guestimated a reasonable price and told him that's all I could afford. So I would think maybe around 400 for a tank and side panels from another model but shoot me down if this incorrect. Some people take cash in hand  etc so price actually paid in subject to discussion. You also need to factor in the cost of shipping or self delivery and return of your parts. On some models of 750 and 400/4 you can but the 'body kits' pre-painted from Yamiya and they look like a good deal and a lot less hassle to me.

On my CB250/350's I am going to give them to a contact in a respected local car body shop and see how it goes (no decals or pinstripes involved) . Another guy I know did this and got an amazing paint job done for an absolute  bargain price cw 'bike only' painters. Also it depends if pin-striping/ candy paint in involved. The bike painter who did my 750 claims that Candy Gold is notoriously difficult to do. He had to rescue another 'professional' who did the CB750K2 rebuild paint job, in CMM magazine a while back as the other guy chickened out at the 11th hour.

Good luck ... Ash.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:58:44 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:48 AM »
I talked to a fellow at a show who had a BEAUTIFUL paint job on the tank, and had also smoothed, filled and painted the frame, and it was clearly best in show.  He is a car painter by trade and did it all himself.  He said he'd do mine for £1000, seems pretty expensive, but I know theres a lot of work to be done to get the frame looking that good.  I'm getting a price on just the tank.  He also said that candy paint is expensive and hard to get right.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »
I talked to a fellow at a show who had a BEAUTIFUL paint job on the tank, and had also smoothed, filled and painted the frame, and it was clearly best in show.  He is a car painter by trade and did it all himself.  He said he'd do mine for £1000, seems pretty expensive, but I know theres a lot of work to be done to get the frame looking that good.  I'm getting a price on just the tank.  He also said that candy paint is expensive and hard to get right.

That seems a bit over the top. Frame blasted and powder coated £200 max and the max on a tank and panels should not be more than £550. Give this painter a look >>>   http://www.precision-mc-paintwork.co.uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »

That seems a bit over the top. Frame blasted and powder coated £200 max and the max on a tank and panels should not be more than £550. Give this painter a look >>>   http://www.precision-mc-paintwork.co.uk

Agree Graham, over the top Powder coating frame, swing arm & stands etc inc blasting 135GBP around here and 550 is for K0 750 body set which includes headlamp, fork ears and two part airbox and painting on fairly complex pinstriping.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 09:20:07 AM »

The frame wouldn't be powder coated if I went with him, he used filler to smooth all the welds and joins, then paints the frame as well to give it a real smooth look.  Can't deny it's nice, but not sure how the paint would hold up to use though.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »
Powder doesn't stick to filler very well  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal