Author Topic: Tacho drive leaking oil  (Read 4254 times)

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Tacho drive leaking oil
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »
Your not wrong there Roy. I once heard of a mod where the frame tubes were cut above the engine and made into bolt on rails.
Don't ask me how, when or where, it is something I seem to remember way back when.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »
Honda did not believe that the bikes would still be going after 40+ years and also from what was said earlier if they had been changed there would have been no problem. Gordon in the US was doing the "Kits" to modify the frame but for the manufacturer to do it on the line would had added quite a unit cost and Honda were trying to keep the costs down hence crosspoint screws, unchromed top of fork tubes etc, might only be a few pounds here and there but when you look at the quantity made it don't half add up. When we were working on them regularly we developed a "knack" for fitting engines whilst retaining gonads in correct position but I agree that for the occasional mechanic/owner it's more difficult

I can also remember when they were in gasket sets and also a bag full of those little dampers that go between the fins, but same as everything else customers want the cheapest possible so bits are left out

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 03:58:04 PM »
When I was doing my 750F2 (first Honda I had done), I could not believe you had to remove the engine to get the cam cover off. So I had a look around at ready engineered frame kits and I thought they were all crap. They almost all remove the triangulation around the three tubes, this adds greatly to the torsional stiffness around the steering head and really should not be removed. So I decided I could do better than that myself, and as I have a TIG welder etc this is what I did. http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8188.0.html.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal