Author Topic: Oil leak sussed (hopefully)  (Read 6045 times)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak sussed (hopefully)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »
What are you compairing the front brake to? if its a modern bike forget it you will never get it that good, if its an old brit --what are you complaining about it stops better doesn't it!!

In all seriousness a well fettled brake with decent pads should slow you down OK but not be able to squeel the tyre
I recently rode a friends newly restored Kawasaki H2, with factory twin disc conversion, at the first corner I nearly binned it  :o, it felt as though it speeded up when I hit the brakes!, brake technology has moved on so much since the 70's, if I'd applied the same amount of brake pressure on my XJR I would have locked the front wheel, I was told that the grade of stainless that the japenese used on the 70's discs was not ideal for braking, low frictional qualities, so regardless of how efficient the pads or calliper are the brake can never perform like modern set ups, not sure if that's correct but Bryan is right the brakes are what they are, all you can do is ensure that they are bled properly, the pivot arm is free and set up so that you have the pads with the correct clearance to the disc,after that all you can do is ride as you did in the 70's, i.e. slower  :).
interesting point re compounds though, shame nobody makes a HH compound pad, it would help a bit.
P.S. you could get a cast iron disc fitted, some of the classic racers do that but then it wouldn't look right and you'd forever be cleaning rust from the disc.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:46:52 AM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »
You just have to remember to brake way ahead when you want to stop, I have not been polluted by modern bike brakes so I am only used to my trusty old single disc, maybe I'll see you down the Tap sometime as well, I'm only in Great Sutton.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 04:30:31 PM »
Rough the disk up with some scratch in a cross hatch pattern I use the pads from DSS rough these up as well make sure there adjusted well and the pivot pin is free and well greased.I haven't had to many scary moments rain or shine. 
ACF50 grease is my new favourite product for the backs of brake pads and greasing the pivot as it does not go hard overtime like conventional grease and they have stayed squeak free  ;)

Mick 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »
Your right about the HH pads. My F2 has HH pads, braided hoses, new master, and refurb calipers. And this is the honest truth, it stops as well as my CB1300. I was very impressed. They should make HH pads for all models as a safety measure.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »
Your right about the HH pads. My F2 has HH pads, braided hoses, new master, and refurb calipers. And this is the honest truth, it stops as well as my CB1300. I was very impressed. They should make HH pads for all models as a safety measure.
Yes Roy I fitted them to my XJR and the difference it made is amazing, I guess they wear the discs much more though so I've started using my back brake a lot more, it's amazing how little I need to use the front brakes now, plus it's safer at junctions in case there's any unseen gravel or diesel, front discs for the XJR are £300 so I'll preserve them as much as possible!😀
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »
I had Carbone Lorraine pads in both of my XJRs and the brakes were superb. I wonder if they list them for the Honda, (yeah, right).

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 03:51:13 PM »
No I don't think they do. Spent a good hour yesterday searching for HH pads for my 350F without any luck. Would be pleased to hear if anybody has found a source for these. The only HH pads I can find for any SOHC is the Honda 750F2 same as mine. I think were out of luck?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »
Anyone know what these are like?

V-Pads

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal