Author Topic: Oil leak sussed (hopefully)  (Read 6039 times)

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
Oil leak sussed (hopefully)
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:02:06 PM »
After the engine going in and out three times now I have finally got to the bottom of the latest oil leak and it isn't pretty.
In the past the cam chain has been slopping about something chronic in the tunnel, in fact there is evidence it has probably snapped at some stage. There is a massive groove on both sides of the tunnel resulting in a hole that someone has tried to fix with what looks like Araldite.
Number four piston has a slight chunk out of the top of it, nothing serious, just a nick and number one piston is a new one which suggest a valve to piston get together. The slipper is new as are the roller wheels on the tensioner and also the cam chain looks new. There is also a new can carrier for some reason.

Anyway, if you are of a weak disposition look away now.

A bit of wear me thinks.

Yep, definitely wear.

Araldite failing in it's repair task.

Luckily I got hold of another set of barrels so it is quite an easy fix. (he says)

If this doesn't sort out the oil leaks I give up.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak sussed (hopefully)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:08:53 PM »
I had a DOHC CB750K years ago (1980 me thinks) that did a similar thing. The oil leak on that strangely showed up by keeping blowing the gear change shaft seals. Ended up selling the bike for a song as I knew nowt about engines back then. Actually sometimes, I'm not too sure I know anything about engines now either. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:11:03 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
I know nowt but I do know that's not right.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
That is something i have never seen on one of these bikes. If it has cut that much away, were has all the alloy gone ?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »
Holy Fu*ck. That is pretty shocking....

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »
Seen one like that back in early 80's bike had done at least 120,000 but had a couple of stripdowns for various reasons, new owner ran it for 9,000 with no adjustments--cam seized in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and it was stripped by a dealer up there then I did a round trip from Gloucester in a day with VOLVO 245 estate and trailer to fetch the remains back, rebuilt with new cam chain and all the rest used went on with original pistons and rings in SH cylinders for many more years

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
Not a pretty sight, but glad you have got to the bottom of it

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
That is something i have never seen on one of these bikes. If it has cut that much away, were has all the alloy gone ?
My thoughts exactly, where did all the ally go?
There is no sign of any remnants anywhere and it appears that the whole thing has been stripped and rebuilt so I guess it has all been cleared out.

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 10:33:02 PM »
I got the replacement barrels on today, just have to wait now for the headset to arrive so I can finish it off and get it all back together again.
Why is it always a bank holiday when you are in a hurry for something!!!

Patience is a virtue I don't really have much of.  ::)

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »
Well it doesn't leak any more.

HOOORRAAHH!!!!!!

Saying that I haven't been any great distance yet, just round the block, but last time it leaked almost straight away and so far nothing.  ;D

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 08:54:20 AM »
Great news, pleased for you.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »
Normaly if they are going to leak it happens quickly so well done for fixing the PO's keeerap

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
I went down to the local bike pub (the Tap) today, all of a 4 mile round trip, and not a drop of oil was to be seen. It went sweet as a nut but I wish there was something I could do with the front brake, any recommendations for better pads or any other suggestions.
Other than the brakes it was a joy to ride not having to worry about leaks.
I got some positive comments too which is always nice.  :)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »
What are you compairing the front brake to? if its a modern bike forget it you will never get it that good, if its an old brit --what are you complaining about it stops better doesn't it!!

In all seriousness a well fettled brake with decent pads should slow you down OK but not be able to squeel the tyre

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »
What are you compairing the front brake to? if its a modern bike forget it you will never get it that good, if its an old brit --what are you complaining about it stops better doesn't it!!

In all seriousness a well fettled brake with decent pads should slow you down OK but not be able to squeel the tyre
I recently rode a friends newly restored Kawasaki H2, with factory twin disc conversion, at the first corner I nearly binned it  :o, it felt as though it speeded up when I hit the brakes!, brake technology has moved on so much since the 70's, if I'd applied the same amount of brake pressure on my XJR I would have locked the front wheel, I was told that the grade of stainless that the japenese used on the 70's discs was not ideal for braking, low frictional qualities, so regardless of how efficient the pads or calliper are the brake can never perform like modern set ups, not sure if that's correct but Bryan is right the brakes are what they are, all you can do is ensure that they are bled properly, the pivot arm is free and set up so that you have the pads with the correct clearance to the disc,after that all you can do is ride as you did in the 70's, i.e. slower  :).
interesting point re compounds though, shame nobody makes a HH compound pad, it would help a bit.
P.S. you could get a cast iron disc fitted, some of the classic racers do that but then it wouldn't look right and you'd forever be cleaning rust from the disc.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:46:52 AM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal