Author Topic: Front forks removal, simplest method  (Read 1875 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Front forks removal, simplest method
« on: June 26, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »
The fork gaiters on my bike have perished badly and need to be replaced.  I want to make the job as simple as possible or it will have to wait until a spell of bad weather during the winter.

The bike naturally sits on the front wheel when on the centre stand.  What methods do we use to keep the front end up in the air to remove the forks as quickly and simply as possible?  Also, will the forks drop through the yokes without disconnecting the brake pipe? I imagine I can leave on the mudguard? 

Last time I did this was in 1995, I was putting the bike together so it was without an engine and all the parts were going on in order. 

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Front forks removal, simplest method
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:29:56 AM »
Depends on which forks you have mate, yes to leaving the mudguard on but also yes to removing caliper and swinging pipe out of way.

Undo a top nut and if there is a bar threaded into it with a lock nut you can undo these and the alloy sliders will fall off as long as you have the bike high enough.

If not you will have to remove the forks from the yokes so i would recomend removing the mudguard and doing one at a time so that the headlamp brackets and rubbers don't fall every where.

Hope that makes sense

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »
Thanks Bryan, that's a good idea. 

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 05:24:23 PM »
You can either put a jack under the front of the engine or put a weight on the back of the seat.  I prefer the jack method.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 06:17:52 PM »
Lol Mike - I put weights on the back of my seat when working on the (back in the day) 400F once. Managed to tip the balance and said weights did something for the tank  ::)
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:50 PM »
Hi,
    On a centre stand, removal of the front wheel often alters the balance and the bike settles down on the stand and rear wheel.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:22:26 PM »
It's easier to remove the front wheel when it's off the ground.  Otherwise too much weight is on the axle to remove the wheel.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »
I start by poping the font wheel out, bit(s) of wood under the front of the engine or a car jack or string round the headstock depending on where is clear to work. On the 500 I often get away with leaving the clocks and headlight in situ and just unbolt the caliper and mudguard ( or the master cylinder depending on what bolts seem willing to move without breakage or more soaking in wd40 plus heating. )  then just slide the forks from the yokes having slacked the relevant bolts and if needed given a whack with a hide mallett to the top nuts of the forks. Often the wheel comming out gives the balance the required shift to stay put on the centre stand - depends on how level the ground is - and still sensible to have something extra proping the front of the engine just in case things shift - with me that something shifting might be the cat paying a visit to roosting chickens or kids comming to play on stuff they shouldn't. The kid problem is so bad we have had to fit and use locks on the doors these days.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
The kid problem is so bad we have had to fit and use locks on the doors these days.
I know, my kids keep trying to escape from the dungeon as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal