Author Topic: newbie  (Read 3046 times)

Offline fishermanferg

• View Profile
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:19:20 PM »
hi I don't know if I have the right page or not but here goes my name is Fergus I am 67 years old I live in in Falkirk Scotland I ride an 1982 cm 400tc its a European model a wee bit different from the usa ones the query I have is I may need an new ignition switch it has 5 wires I know a lot of other Hondas cb400t superdream etc are inter changeable I sent photos to various dealers on ebay of my switch some never had any one told me that the European cm 400 had slightly different electrics doe any member know if any other five wire switches would be ok there are a few on ebay

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
Hi Fergus,
This is curious.
Neither DS or CMSNL list a non-US version of the CM400.
I also thought Honda ignition switches typically connected, disconnected or linked pairs of contacts so have an even number of leads, but willing to be corrected here.
To replace with a different switch I guess you would need to know which contacts are connected or otherwise in each switch position, and match this with a new switch, so would need a wiring diagram for your bike.
Connection to the main loom is also usually by a multi-way connector which would need to be the same or you would have to do some rewiring.
CMSNL have a switch for the US model: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cm400t-1981-usa_model7287/switch-assy-comb_35100413007/.
Chris

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:23:24 PM »
When Honda went to CDI ignition lots of things changed so do you know if yours has points or not?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 06:45:40 PM »
The switch on the cmsl link has five wires. I'm curious as well, maybe it has a split feed for something?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
Don't know if I'd like to stake much on counting them from the picture! And there's not enough of the connector showing to tell.
I was going by the wiring diagram, also on CMSNL: http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-fansite/honda_wiring_diagrams/CM400E.jpg.

Offline fishermanferg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »
thanks for the reply the European model is a bit different as I said sent photos of my ignition switch to various shops on e bay nobody had one I have a clymers manual usa one it helps with some info any good news the switch seems to be ok the last time I had it off I obviously didn't tighten it enough it came loose and the plate that sits on top of it had came loose and stopped the key from turning on I thought the switch was done found out the mounting screws had stripped so I could not tighten it up right drilled them through nut and bolt now tight another wee problem the carbs on European models are vb31d tried to get a rebuild kit couldn't find any just wondering if anybody knows if any other vb would work if I needed them another help I needf is it possible to change the fuse box on my bike from the glass fuses to blades

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »
the carbs on European models are vb31d tried to get a rebuild kit couldn't find any
Do you know if these carbs are used on other models e.g. CB400 T/N? If so then you may get what you need from
Cruzinimage at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/cruzinimageuk1484/. He has kits for the CM400 A/C and the CB400 T/N.
I and many others have used him for carb rebuild kits.

is it possible to change the fuse box on my bike from the glass fuses to blades
If you can find a part number you may then be able to find if the same part is used on other bikes and then search for
a replacement with blades (there are some for some models). Another choice would be to buy a universal fuse box with
blades then wire it to your connector instead of your original so it will plug in to your loom.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »
Hi Fergus and welcome to the forum  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal