Author Topic: clutch drag  (Read 1913 times)

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
clutch drag
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »
my cb 750k 1974 is dragging the clutch a bit, been looking at the threads and it seems to be a common fault.

I have adjusted the lever inside the casing and changed the cable but although all the parts are moving properly it still drags a bit. I have been riding it about and perhaps its just me being fussy but I cant adjust the cable leaving a little slack it needs adjusted up. but it doesn't slip.

I have memories of my 250 back in the 70s doing the same thing.

is this something that's normal on these old bikes, but  if not any advice before I pull the plates out. phew one step forwards and two back.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: clutch drag
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:59:23 AM »
Both my 35 year plus CB750,s don't do that and still on original plates etc so NO.In the past I have discovered synthetic don't help many will disagree though as usual
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »
+1 with Bitsa on this one, modern oil does not help. Most modern bikes have a oil jet that sprays over the clutch basket, were the old girl's clutch is running in oil.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:15:57 AM »
My F1s clutch plates tend to stick together when left so initially I have to wait a bit for the clutch to stop rattling before engaging first  :) apart from that I get no drag. Not using synthetic oils.

What are your symptoms exactly?

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »
My F1s clutch plates tend to stick together when left so initially I have to wait a bit for the clutch to stop rattling before engaging first  :) apart from that I get no drag. Not using synthetic oils.

Using motul 10/40 semi but I get a drag on the clutch on my cb1000 when cold so might be an oil thing.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:14:43 PM »

Using motul 10/40 semi but I get a drag on the clutch on my cb1000 when cold so might be an oil thing.

Never got a chance to do anymore today stuck it on the centre stand bent down to work on my exhausts and my back went out, so I'm fairly miserable at the minute. need to rest up because I have a ticket for the super bike racing on sunday at knockhill.

However thanks for the help folk.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal