Author Topic: Refinishing exhaust flanges and collars  (Read 2892 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Refinishing exhaust flanges and collars
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:01:53 AM »
Hi gents,

Just wanted to get your opinion on what the best finish was for the exhaust flanges and collars - should I paint, powder, zinc plate, etc?  What will stand up to the heat the best?

Or is it worth buying a new set?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Refinishing exhaust flanges and collars
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
The chromer (Mark)  on here in Manchester re-chromes these at a standard rate that's reasonable and cheaper than new .. you can PM him here:

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=13640
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
I used RSchrome but wasn't 100% pleased. I had a rear guard done and left surface rust on as I thought they would remove as part of their preparation (acid bath???) the guard came back with some rust still on. (the main visible guard was good before I sent it).  I also sent a set of exhaust clamp but learned my lesson and rotary wire brushed all rust/corrosion before sending. I think they charged about 40 squid plus VAT from memory.
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:54:44 PM »
Exactly what I mean that link Graham, you can see the chrome in between the fins is already starting to rust and that's supposed to be a brand new clamp. Only the top edges of the fins is actually bright chromed, the rest is pretty shoddy really.

I was going to ask the guy that does my forks if he could hard chrome the fins ;)

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:41:46 PM »
I had some exhaust flanges and other parts re-chromed by Mark at RS, very pleased with the results. Photo attached
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:06:03 AM »
Yeah mine looked like that Al and they were also done by RS but in the early 80s when chroming was so much better than it is today.

However due to the rough casting it leaves small holes in the chrome and that's where the water etc gets in, pretty soon it's not looking quite as pretty.

Agree .. I got a NOS pair for one of my  250's and you can see, after shelf-only  storage for 30 odd years,  that there's slight rust build up in the 'valleys' where the throwing power of the plating process  is poorer and also where it's hard to reach with a polisher/abrader. I think we have to be fair to Mark at RS here, that this is a very  difficult item to plate and most (if not all ) chromers will struggle with this one, as no doubt Honda did back in the day, and they were starting with a freshly prepared casting.

BTW someone I work with says his dad is a chromer in Hull and that new EU regulation is coming in, which almost outlaws even the 'safer' conventional tri-valent chrome plating (unless you spend oodles on new fancy  plant). David Silver also told us that about 18 months ago. Perhaps, the only way round it is to stockpile the chemicals before the laws come in.

Ash
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:08:59 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:59:37 AM »
RS re chromed all my clamps in 2007, but looking at them this year some of the chrome is peeling off, one was particularly bad so I ordered a new one from DSS which was already rusting before I fitted it. So rather than go down the same route again I just used high temp aluminium paint on the troughs and left the raised parts chrome, not perfect but at least no rust is visible.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal