Author Topic: Pressure gage tripping after 15min ride  (Read 5046 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure gage tripping after 15min ride
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
as far as oil temp is concerned,I looked on the WWW for air cooled engines,

and seems they can run at upto 260F/or about 130C,

did you check the head?

or sump?

or oil tank?

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline mgy66

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »
I will test after between carbs and engine but there is only the black silicon tubes so if air leakage it can only come from loose rings around the silicon tube.

Temp is measured at tank side 200F.

I think i read in haynes book that the gauge can trip at idle but here we are talking from 1000rpm to 4500rpm...

I am going to test few options before changing the oil... get the idle steady with search of air entry, move to 110 main jet and increase the air screw to balance air mixture at idle and pick up, then change the oil spec and if it still tripping change the sensor, hopefully get one spare from DSilver...

Thanks to you all...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 07:03:11 AM »
Sorry got to ask just what you mean by gauge "Tripping"

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 08:20:51 AM »
Think he means the oil pressure warning light coming on Bryan. Been watching this thread with interest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 07:13:57 PM »
 ;) lol lets try and kick this one in the long grass
about two weeks ago i came back from a half hour blast at 70-80 mph up the m4 we had been to a bike show and crap weather so was not hanging around, be that the bike(cb750k0) was a rough rebuild and the oil light would flash on at tick over
by the time we stopped i showed my mate that the oil light was staying on up to 2000 rpm ,he said the mains must be knackered, i said yes probably but it still goes well and no nasty sounds, i will change the oil switch when i get home
and yes the switch was giving a very low reading,and the oil was very hot and thin ,after checking with a pressure gauge (40 psi)and a new oil switch it still goes well,ofcourse there is wear there its 45 years old, but the oil light dont come on anymore  ;)

Offline mgy66

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 09:29:08 PM »
So Steff, you are suggesting replacing the oil switch rather than the oil...

I have moved up the mains to 110, raised the air screw to 1.5 turn, still running hot and thin oil...

Did not try yet the dw40 but noticed that there is a bit of gap at the junction of the needle holding screws and the support plate .. that may allow some needles to move up and down with instable idle. Will tight it up.

I was to try 15w40 oil instead of 10w30 before going to replace the pressure gauge but Steff, i am curious to see how you can measure the pressure... where do you insert the pressure gauge? Picture of the location of pressure gauge would help. For some reason i understand it is inside the engine in the pump...

Cheers

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »
its easier to change the oil switch first, unless you need to check the actual oil pressure,if you already have hold of a oil pressure gauge, you will need to remove the plug at the end of the oil gallery,that's where the oil switch fits but that's on top of it
the pressure gauge goes into the oil gallery just above the points cover take a look at some chopper photos a lot of custom bikes use a oil pressure gauge on their bikes

Offline mgy66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 02:02:42 AM »
Steff, thanks for the input... i think i know where is this switch. It must be the black connection in the middle of the gallerie right above the starter cover. I have checked on youtube and it seems to be a classic issue.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhQeIY_gTOg

I dont know why the repair shop did not suggest it when he checked the pump and changed the oil... or i hope it is the switch and it is easy to source on ebay or DSS.

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal