Author Topic: Replacement mc - help needed  (Read 1269 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Replacement mc - help needed
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
Hi all,

I'm slowly progressing with my build, and realised that with my switch to clubman bars, the brake mc will be at an angle, which I've heard is not a good idea.  So, as I need a new mc anyway to suit the dual discs, I was thinking of going with a remote reservoir system.  I was originally just going to go with a gl1000 mc setup because I knew it'd suit the dual discs, but now with the choice available with remote reservoir systems I don't know what to go with.  From my reading, I've gleaned that the mc bore is not a great measure of the pressure it can put on the brakes, and that I should be looking at leverage ratios and all sorts.  So, thoroughly confused I've come for some help.  What would you recommend?  What size mc do I need to run dual discs, and does any of that other stuff really matter?  Anyone recommend a good remote reservoir system?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:00:04 AM by JustcallmeMrT »

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement mc - help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »
Just asking - why is it a bad idea if your mc is at an angle? On my VFR they (clutch and brake) are only level when the bars are at opposite lock. OK designed that way but back in the day I fitted clubman bars to my 400F and had no problems. Make it as level as you can for filling - once the cap is on what's going to happen?
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »
To be honest, it was just something I'd read.  I was wondering if, depending on the angle,  air may get forced into the lines?  I guess it'd have to be a pretty extreme angle...

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »
I agree with Tom, I think you are unlikely to have a problem unless the angle is very extreme.
But if you fancy a bit of trickery with a remote cylinder then why not?
Also better to consider and eliminate any potential issue than to sail merrily into the back of something due to having no brakes as they are full of air ....

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
Well, I'm trying to keep things as uncluttered as possible, so may still consider a remote reservoir.   I did see a cable operated remote cylinder - that'd be really clean but not sure how I'd work it all out.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
Hi,
     Fitted one of these to my cafe racer---http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-280470/

The link doesn't seem to work, Wemoto sell a cb400N type of master cyl. with a angled clamp built in suitable for twin discs.
     On Wemoto first page, bottom right, click on brakes on dropdown, then on master cylinders, bit expensve but neat

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:26:10 PM by ka-ja »
nice bike,nothing in the bank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal