Author Topic: Carbs!! Is it like this????  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Carbs!! Is it like this????
« on: July 25, 2015, 06:00:30 PM »
Hi everyone I have been rebuilding my carbs, they have been vapor blasted and all needles and jets replaced.

I was placing them into the base and I realize that There is a gap between the bottom of the slide in three of them and one closed

If they were all the same I would probably not think about it.

What I have done wrong? Should there be a space or not? I have three with an space and one without.

Please see the video below, hope someone can tell me.

Thanks in advance
Noe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Carbs!! Is it like this????
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »
In this pic it seems like in all of them there is a gap

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 06:38:10 PM »
They need to be bench synchronised, I think there is a vid on youtube

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
Hi Noelia.
The big carb spring, with the little bit of rubber tube around it, must be in place first. If you loosen the little 8mm locking nuts holding the stabiliser springs, then you can screw the carb slides up and down. If you put a piece of wire under each slide, you will know they are even on each one when the slide touches the wire. Tighten the locking nuts.The stabiliser springs must be very straight and not bent. This will bench Synch them, hopefully enough to get the bike started. Then they can be vacuum synchronised when on the bike for final adjustment.
Your carbs look great.
Julie
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »
shouldn't woman be baking cakes at this time of day  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Carbs!! Is it like this????
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »
Hi Noelia.
The big carb spring, with the little bit of rubber tube around it, must be in place first. If you loosen the little 8mm locking nuts holding the stabiliser springs, then you can screw the carb slides up and down. If you put a piece of wire under each slide, you will know they are even on each one when the slide touches the wire. Tighten the locking nuts.The stabiliser springs must be very straight and not bent. This will bench Synch them, hopefully enough to get the bike started. Then they can be vacuum synchronised when on the bike for final adjustment.
Your carbs look great.
Julie

Hi Julie!!

Shouldn't we be baking cakes?? Haha

Ok ok I haven't put back the big spring and either I have put the locking nuts. I just saw they were not the same and thought I have done something wrong when putting all together, tomorrow I will try it out and let you know how I get on.

Thank you very much for the explanation!

Noe 

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:53:10 PM by Noelia »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 11:01:04 PM »
Baking cakes, balancing carbs, it's all in a days work for us girls Noelia, we just do what needs to be done  ;D ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »
Yer, took a bite of a cake and found a slow running jet and the chocolate was replaced with O'rings  ;D ;D

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »
Hi Noelia,

I too had this problem when rebuilding my 400F carbs - it was 3 yrs ago & im scratching my head trying to remember the issue. Bottom line, I think I'd swapped two of the throttle sliders (L & R sets are different) .... and to make them 'fit' had to rotate them 180 degrees in the carb body. For this to happen, two had to be wrong.

But you've got one... have you replaced a single throttle slider? Or have you managed to adjust its paired one so much that it now looks right? As I recall the bottom edges are different (slider) front & back... straight or concave... it any of your 4 are different you've certainly fitted them in a reverse position.

Hope this helps, working from a very dim memory.
Simon

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »

Hi Noelia,

I too had this problem when rebuilding my 400F carbs - it was 3 yrs ago & im scratching my head trying to remember the issue. Bottom line, I think I'd swapped two of the throttle sliders (L & R sets are different) .... and to make them 'fit' had to rotate them 180 degrees in the carb body. For this to happen, two had to be wrong.

But you've got one... have you replaced a single throttle slider? Or have you managed to adjust its paired one so much that it now looks right? As I recall the bottom edges are different (slider) front & back... straight or concave... it any of your 4 are different you've certainly fitted them in a reverse position.

Hope this helps, working from a very dim memory.
Simon

Hi Simon it does makes sense what you are saying I have noticed that the bottom line of the slide was shaped I will have a look as I must have rotated it or changed it.

When assembling the last carb together I did notice something was not right when I have tried to put the slide into the carb body following the mark on the carb where it had to slide in.  The arm where I need to fit in the throttle was reversed. So I had to unscrew the two small screws and rotate the slide 180 degrees. It may be it I have swapped a L&R.

I hope it make sense and I'm not lost in translation!

Thanks
Noe

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 01:43:17 PM »
Any tips on how identity which of them are in the wrong position?

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 02:48:22 PM »
I got it!!

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »
Fantastic - congrats. Remember it confusing me for longer than it should have!

Simon

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 04:58:04 PM »
Ok they are all now back and looking good tomorrow I'm dropping them at my local garage to have them properly sync.

Thanks all for the help!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »
You can only properly sync these once on the bike as it need to be running.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal