Author Topic: Seeley Honda #SH7-672  (Read 17473 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Seeley Honda #SH7-672
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2016, 07:21:10 PM »
Ha, yes and I haven't seen a 900ss in his garage either!, no taste the Cole fellow.
That simply shows he has good sense.... After all, he has a C50 in his shed as well, and that will piss rings round any Italian crap for reliability, longevity, parts availability, and most importantly, street cred!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »
Speaking of the 900SS, I had this in my care to re-commission and MOT

https://flic.kr/p/ddfCkA

Offline Erling

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2016, 07:02:53 AM »
Hallo Zunspec. From me a wish long out!
If you talk to Mr Seeley again might you say hallo from a very happy Dane?
Haven't seen him since I bought frame 789 on my way home from the Silverstone GP '78.
Had intended to pass him on my way home from I.o.M. '79 but a petrol strike made me decide to go straight for the Dover ferry!
Indeed I was on a dream trip to John 'o Groets in glorious sunshine but feared to be stranded somewhere without fuel.
Year before we had been to Lands End from I.o.M.
Wife had decided we had to go because our youth time hero of the sixties"Mike the Bike" made a return to racing after 11 years!
Mike won on a Ducati! Phil Read eventually broke the engine of his Honda at least smoke came out as he passed us.
Erling.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
Speaking of the 900SS, I had this in my care to re-commission and MOT

https://flic.kr/p/ddfCkA
Very nice indeed, but oh so fragile the bevel.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2016, 11:36:13 AM »
Ha, yes and I haven't seen a 900ss in his garage either!, no taste the Cole fellow.
That simply shows he has good sense.... After all, he has a C50 in his shed as well, and that will piss rings round any Italian crap for reliability, longevity, parts availability, and most importantly, street cred!
How dare you question Italian reliability Hairygit, I'll have you know I have covered a whole 400 miles and not a single break down.....so far 😄
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
Very nice indeed, but oh so fragile the bevel.
[/quote]

Hi Mark/hairygit,

Unfortunately I only got to ride it to the MOT shop and from there back to the owner.  All on 12 year old tyres so I could not give it a good blast  ;D.  I do know that the first owner road it to several events in Europe, when I first got it the pannier bracketry was still attached.  He even did a bit of club racing on it I was told.  So it was obviously moderately reliable.

Cheers  Geoff

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2016, 09:40:37 PM »
Nice to see someone else getting it in the neck for going italian for a change  ;D
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline westfieldandy

• View Profile
    • good-bits
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
Hi,

I dont post much on here, but had to throw something on here,

Yes I also am a seeley honda owner,  mine is no 792 i think from memory.   It does'nt get out much, due to my racing and development of my cr750, but now maybe it'll get out, as I have now been working on my business working on old classics etc

www.good-bits.co.uk

I have owned the pike for years now, and always was a fan of the seeley from when i was a lad,  I think you have a really good example of the marque here, as when you look on the register and see the pics of others so many of them are modded too much, but this one really shines,

I have had the exhausts remade like you, but never managed to get it to run nice on them.  I reckon its because the wrong cylinders are linked together. it should be 1&3 and 2&4.    so a bridge pipe between the two silencers just after y piece might help.

thats what i think, but not had time to test my theory yet.

andy

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »
Hello Andy,

Regarding the Seeley exhaust set-up, the sound from mine has (to my ears) an odd harmonic to it.  It's as if the engine is not firing as it should but then I am more used to the sound of 4-1 systems. Is it the result of the way the cylinders are paired up, not something that occured to me.  At 6000+ rpm and a WOT it sounds absolutly wicked mind  8).

If you have followed this post post from the beginning you know that this Seeley is almost pure period Seeley apart from the silencers and brake lines.  It was "factory" built and as I had the ear of the man himself recently I asked how many of the 300 odd frames he actually assembled in house.  The answer was "not very many" as contrary to my previous belief that Honda supplied the necessary parts Colin had to buy a complete doner bike and transfer the parts just as all other builders had to.

Your CR750 is gorgeous, is it raced with CRMC? . That 836cc big bore kit on your website also looks mighty tempting but I am spending far too much on my own race bike (Seeley T500 replica) to afford it at the moment  ;D

Cheers  Geoff

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2016, 02:25:24 PM »
Hi,

The feature on my Seeley Honda 750 was published in the October Classic Bike magazine. A good write up from Gez Kane.  Colin Seeley confirms that only 6 bikes were "factory" built by CSRD so it makes my bike a pretty rare example.

Classic Bike feature Oct 2016 by zunspec, on Flickr

Here is a link to my flickr album page.  Select a photo then If you go to the bottom right of the page you will see an arrow pointing down.  Click on this and then "view all sizes", you then have a choice of photo sizes, Large is OK to read (you don't actually have to download the photo) https://www.flickr.com/photos/zunspec/albums/72157671221523016

Cheers  Geoff

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
I have been offered a Cycle X 850cc piston kit from someone who bought one from the USA but really wanted std. pistons.  My apologies for asking but the "search" facility returns zero posts, even if I just put in Honda lol  ;D  I guess a glitch there somewhere.

The kit is destined for a std. F1 engine but I am interested in the pro's and con's of the cast 850 pistons vice a forged 836cc kit (Wiseco etc.).  If I do go big bore it would be sensible to add a cam and also flow the head etc.  I don't want to go so far that I need stronger rods but upgrade to valve springs/retainers and barrel studs would be OK.  This is not for racing, a stronger road engine is the goal.

Thank for any insights

Cheers  Geoff

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »
Colin Seeley was kind enough to sign a copy of the Classic Bike magazine feature for me.  A nice addition to the bike history, I think he liked the article too.

Cheers  Geoff

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2016, 04:52:45 PM »
I received a letter confirming the authenticity of my bike from Colin Seeley today.  A great addition to the bikes history and well worth the donation to the Joan Seeley Pain Relief Trust.  Thank you Colin  8)

Cheers  Geoff

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »
I know nothing about the Seeley Honda's but what a lovely piece of history. I bet your really proud of that, as will any future owner.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:04:05 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2016, 07:14:27 PM »
Thanks Julie,

The provenance of this bike is pretty special so very nice to have it's originality confirmed by the man himself.

Cheers  Geoff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal