Author Topic: Help me clear up some v5 cofusion please!  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Dunk_B

• View Profile
Help me clear up some v5 cofusion please!
« on: August 03, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »
OK i have bought a cb550 that didn't come with the v5 document or plate now i am not sure if it is a us import or not, i did a vin check on the bike before i got it and everything seemed fine and i got a receipt of sale and an mot on the frame number.
Is there a definitive way of checking it is a UK bike? if so my plan is as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong)

.v62 document to transfer bike to my name.... i guess if its an import i wont get this correct?

.VJMC age related document

.apply for age related plate

what else is needed to get the bike registered if it is an import? i'm hoping its a uk bike but just want to be clear of anything i will need to do to get this sorted will it need a vosa check the bike itself is very original.

Thanks in advance I'm new to this classic bike game and just want to get the bike nice and legal before i start working on it

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Help me clear up some v5 cofusion please!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:17:20 AM »
If it is an import and you don't have the correct customs documents you cannot get it registered. if you send me the frame number via a pm i will see if it is in the ID book i have also a picture of the vin plate if it has one

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 07:56:57 AM »
Sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed close to applicable.

How do you register a 1966 bike (non Honda) that does not have a frame number or paperwork or registration plate (it is a UK bike though).

Was going to buy another frame with paperwork and make a ringer, then scrap the other frame (cut it up good).

Sorry constable, Bryanj made me do it.  ;D ;D ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »
Roy that wouldn't be a ringer as it would be a legal frame rebuilt with used parts and the easiest, legal, way to go. If you want to pm me the make I may have other more dubious ideas

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »
the last tl125 i bought came from a copper who seemed glad to see the back of it. on stripping the engine, i came across a bit of tin plate with an engine number araldited to the engine. underneath that, the original number had been gouged away. i had to buy a set of engine cases and transfer everything over. the previous owner denied knowing about it!! but swapping frames isnt a problem providing everything else is legit.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »
Roy that wouldn't be a ringer as it would be a legal frame rebuilt with used parts and the easiest, legal, way to go. If you want to pm me the make I may have other more dubious ideas
I guess it would depend whether you 'assigned' the frame number to the original frame or rebuilt around the replacement frame.

None of this is helping Dunk_B in his quest to register his CB550 at all  :)

Offline Dunk_B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »
i rang the dvla today about the matter and the guy said first thing to do would be fill out a v62 and send that off and if it has been on the road and registered before it will show up and i will get the v5 if not they will send me the relevant paperwork to get it sorted.
I also sent an email to Geoff ward at vjmc and he has informed me that American imports have the date and year of manufacture on the headstock which mine doesn't so looks to be a uk bike, he also told me what needs to be done to get the age related documents so hopefully this won't be such a pain in the butt after all (fingers crossed). Hopefully i will get the paperwork back soon so i can start tearing the bike down to see what condition its really in.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 08:29:02 AM »
Sorry about hijacking your thread Dunk_B, but glad you got sorted. The DVLA can be hard work sometimes. I may as well use this thread now you got sorted.

A brief history. The bike came to me in 1992 in a deal with a GSXR. It was a real deal CCM/BSA B50MX off road competition bike (built in 1966 and converted by CCM in 1972). The bike was totally knackered and as it only stood me at £300ish and I had a lot of other things going at the time, it got pushed to the back of the garage.

Over the years it got modified into a road bike as bits became available. It is now fitted with a Triumph 5ta engine that required extensive frame modification to get in (hence the frame is very much a one off and cant be changed).

Unbelievably, its only recently I have considered finishing it and have been giving some thought to getting a 1966 age related plate. At this point I suddenly realised that as its a competition bike it does not have a frame number or any documents (it does have a very old VMCC document that proves its age just with an engine number). This is why I was considering finding a scrap 500 Triumph frame with V5 and nicking the number, then dispose of the other frame. That's got to be whats called a ringer and not too legal.

Is there any way of doing it through the DVLA that is legal?

Incidentally, I have recently sold off all the genuine CCM bits that were stored about the garage. Got that much for them it bought the CB350F and has paid for the majority of the restoration. Crazy world, one mans rubbish is another mans gold.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 08:39:51 AM »
What you should have done is get it registered with the bsa engine you have a date for and then convert it to a triumph engine, what i think you will now have to do is get an expensiveSVA test and accept a Q plate

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
Your right Bryan. Its been at least 15 years since I changed the engine. Been a bit of a play thing since some British bike expert years ago said it couldn't be done. So you know how it is, you have to rise to the challenge. Actually he was right it cant really be done. It was a bloomin difficult job, but it does fit beautifully so I win.  ;D  Wish I had given some thought to actually using it on the road. Better not do the ringer thing though, it will only end up getting crushed.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal