Author Topic: wiring tidying  (Read 4695 times)

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
wiring tidying
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 01:15:42 AM »
Hi again,

Forgive me, a few questions:
1/ is the bike a K6.... in which case (conventionally) the tail lamp + LOW beam came on with IGN (but were temporarily unpowered when the start switch was pressed)
>>>>   the bike is a K2 (diagram below)
2/ just to confirm, your 'new' (non-standard) handlebar switch has a central feed, and then simply switches power to one of two other wires exiting it? (Your very last sentence is confusing... "... and white low beam the OTHER TWO sides" if this last sentence is correct can you try & explain (with a diag best) how the switch works?
>>>>>  the switch is an OnOffOn one, it has 6 pins
i have wired the Black in the middle, high beam (blue) to the back terminal and Low beam (white) to the front. the other 3 terminal are not wired.

3/ if it is a K6, using your K6 wiring diagram provided earlier, the power feed to the main handlebar light switch should be a BROWN/RED (I think - poor quality) - you're using a BLACK which is perm live with ignition. Won't make a lot of difference other than LOW beam will remain on during cranking & make starting harder etc.
>>>>>  Unless i switch the light on to low beam or high beam, lights are off (apart the tail light)

4/ does the engine starter switch have 3 wires going to it, ie a BLACK, WHITE/BROWN, BLACK/RED.
>>>>>  the starter switch button has the red/yellow wire and hearth

5/ yup, on the K6 (using your drag) the rear lamp should come on @ P2, inc the small front Parking lamp if you've wired it to the BROWN wire which feeds the rear lamp.
>>>>>  both lamps are wired to the brown one. unfortunately no parking light with P2 yet

If you can answer all of the above I'll try & condense your wiring woes onto a fag-packet sketch to hopefully ascertain where it's all going wrong.
>>>>> hopefully Ive expressed myself properly.
thanks a lot

Happy Saturday...hmm.
>>>> happy sunday.
el__burro

Simon
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:27:28 AM by El__burro »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: wiring tidying
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 05:47:41 AM »
Hi again,

Ah, K2... the originally K6 supplied diag confused me.

A couple of points... with the non-OEM lights switch you have, and wired as it is, the rear light will always simply come on with ignition, it has to ... as I think you've connected the BROWN / WHITE to BLACK (as K6 diag shows). The K2 was not originally wired like this, the BROWN / WHITE was supplied 12v via the handlebar lights switch - which you seem to have done away with. No matter...

As you've wired it, the small Park light should come on too with ignition .... it seems there is a break somewhere in this BROWN circuit... the BROWN  wire should exit the ignition switch and run to both the front Park light AND the Tail light, so check for continuity, connections, failed bulb and good earth.

Can I assume your IGN key switch is 'standard K2 Honda'?
Is the Brake light circuit working ok now?

In the top diag below is how your bike seems to be wired, and frankly, apart from the dicky Park light is as good as you'll get.... it it is correct and working 'as advertised'.

As you say, in the P2 position the Tail + Park should operate, but NOT the Inst illumination lights. When you say, 'No parking light with P2 yet", do you just mean the front small lamp, or both? Anyways, see the 2nd diagram & check against your bike.

So, your wiring seems about right barring the Park light glitch, but can be improved however, as I THINK your non-standard light switch can be better put to use.
Basically, it is likely a Centre OFF DPDT (double throw, double pole... YAWN) switch, and if so can be wired to only select the Tail / Park / Inst illum lamps at Headlamp ON, ie Low or High.

First though you need to check it is indeed a DPDT... ie get your meter & check... (see 3rd diag)

In Centre / OFF... there is no continuity between any connectors.
In Left position... A & C connect, B & D connect. (But A & B, or C & D, indeed all else remain isolated)
In Right Position A & E connect, B & F connect. (but A & B, or E & F, indeed all else remain isolated)

If all the above hold true, then you can wire this switch to provide 12v to the IGN switch BROWN / WHITE (instead of the BLACK) at Headlight ON.

Basically you'll join A to B, and D to F to BROWN / WHITE, whilst DISconnecting the BLACK to BROWN. This then will enable you to control the Rear / Park light via the Main Light switch as in the 3rd diagram. The P2 position should not be affected & continue to work as Honda intended.

Hope it all makes sense, good luck,
Simon.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:32:18 AM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal