Author Topic: 74 CB750 Starting Problems  (Read 2519 times)

jspocala

74 CB750 Starting Problems
« on: November 12, 2006, 06:16:47 PM »
Need suggestions:
I own a 74 CB750 21000 orig miles, have had no problem with it until NOW!
I needed to replace the battery and starter solenoid switch and did so with no problems.  Started the bike in my garage and all was fine.  Backed it out to the driveway for a quick spin, and you guest it, it won't start.  I feel it is not getting gas, but the carb bowls are fuel.  ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.  Thanks in advance.  I can not figure this one out.  Could it be the points??? or is it fuel related?
Newbie today 11 12 06 USA
JP

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re:74 CB750 Starting Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:45:03 PM »
If youv'e been \"playing\" with the electrics and it suddenly won't start my bet is on a dodgy connection somewhere, I take it you've tried all the obvious, kill switch in the correct position (don't laugh, I've done it), bike is in neutral etc.

If all is fine, see if the spark plugs are wet with fuel.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

jspocala

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 02:55:15 AM »
:woohoo:
After checking all connections, retracing wires in the harnesses, and plugs per a suggestion from JohnnyB, I took out the trusty old light meter and volt meter and started checking everything.  Even the things that would not have any thing to do with the starting but..... guess what I found?
With no meter, just eyes on the obvious.  I found 2 wires have become separated from their counterparts behind the transmission where the fuel drain lines from the carbs are.  How that happened, I have not got a clue. But it taught me another lesson about Murphy's Law.  And that look at the obvious before I start tearing things apart and trying to fix things that are not broken.  In any event, I drained my carb bowls, cleaned the jets, replaced the fuel lines, adjusted the chain, rear and front brakes, etc.....
Problem solved with out doing any of the above, but did them any way.
Thanks.
JP
Owner 1974 CB 750-Four, just under 20K. Restored about 70% and custom the remainder. Also BIG BORE kit and custom headers.
:blush:

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 08:03:16 AM »
jspocala wrote:
But it taught me another lesson about Murphy's Law.  And that look at the obvious before I start tearing things apart and trying to fix things that are not broken.  

I know what you mean, I had a similar hair pulling session when I apparently had no electrics at all, turned out to be a faulty oil pressure switch and the bike was in gear, hence no idiot lights and no starter motor.

Cheers

John

Post edited by: JonnyB, at: 2006/11/13 08:03
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal