Author Topic: new guy saying hi! and would like a bit of advice!  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Dunk_B

• View Profile
new guy saying hi! and would like a bit of advice!
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »
So after a recent chance bid on ebay i have won a cb550 my plan is to do a resto mod build on it. This will be my first classic bike resto as my main passion is classic vw's.
Now onto the interesting stuff... the bike itself is a barn find with no documentation or v5 but has been MOT'd on the chassis number i have asked the seller for the chassis number/engine number so i could do a vin check and this was the reply

"Hi yes both are present and original honda stamping it is a legitimate bike. Im afraid to say though i can't hand over the chassis number, I'm sure you're a genuine buyer but i can't take the risk of someone taking these numbers and using them on another bike. I got the bike in a part exchange and was going to be used as project but since changed plans".

am i right in being a little bit suspect? or should i just turn up and do the check whilst i am there and apply for a new v5? i take it this is do able off of the vin alone as it doesn't have a number plate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: new guy saying hi! and would like a bit of advice!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:45:15 PM »
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC.
DVLA (another mad bunch) are reluctant to give you a V5 on just the VIN number, they will want a number plate. You may have to go down the lines of getting a age related doc and apply for a new age related plate. The VIN number may turn out to be a imported bike.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
Welcome and good luck with the resto - if you have a question in the future, someone on here will know the answer!
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Dunk_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:39:49 PM »
thanks for the reply. The guy got back to me and said he is more than happy for me too do a vin check when i get there and that it is a genuine uk bike. how do i go about getting an age related document? would it be a case of going to a honda dealership and getting them to print the required info? sorry for the newbie questions the bike looks to be in good condition and i want to make sure i can get all the documents before i start the tear down. im really looking forward to getting involved with a classic honda!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 08:38:23 AM »
Letter giving Proof of Year of Build has to come from Honda GB and can take up to 8 weeks plus cost of about £30, then with letter, insurance on frame number(get last as it only lasts 30 days), MOT on frame number plus all the correct DVLA forms £65 registration fee and a years RFL you will get an age related plate

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 09:07:44 AM »
There is a topic in the CB500/550 forum titled "Historic Vehicle rolling 40 year exemption" at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8169.0.html
in which there are details of getting the info from Honda.
Seems to be a mixed bag as to whether you get the information or not; you can but try!
It is mentioned in that topic, and I'll mention it again here, that the VJMC also offer a dating service: http://www.vjmc.com/dating-service.html
DVLA will accept a Dating Letter from them; I have been down this route, having had no joy from Honda UK, so know it works.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:30:39 AM by Chris400F »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »
It used to be that if you had a letter from Honda it was accepted immediately but if you had a letter from another source the vehicle had to be inspected and you had to get it to the inspection site at your cost

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
I had no problems with the VJMC letter. Their web site does say that the VJMC is authorised to Issue Age related
certificates for Japanese motorcycles to help obtain a UK registration as part of the DVLA service for Age Related and
V765 registration scheme requirements, so I didn't anticipate any problems.
I also made the VJMC guy who provides the service aware that I had already tried Honda UK and not had success, and
this was also noted in the Dating Letter provided.

Offline Dunk_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »
i like this forum already, lots of helpful advice! thanks guys its sounding a lot less stressful than i first thought. i shall post pics up this weekend if the bike checks out ok.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Post a few piccies when you get a chance. We like pictures on here, gives us something to gaze at. Good luck with the resto.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Dunk_B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:09 PM »
so i went down too have a look at the bike on Saturday. Turned up and saw it sitting out the front of the workshop i didn't realize till i got there but it was Robinson's speed shop, I'm sure some of you on here would have seen some of the builds they have done.
So had a look over the bike and done a vin check which was all ok, then Luke started her up, again all good started straight away off the button and ran well enough so parted with some cash and loaded her up.
 There are a few bits missing I'm going to have to get such as kick start lever and new ignition barrel but as the bike is going to be stripped right down and restored I'm not to worried about these things i just wanted a running honest bike that i could work on.
so now all i need too do is sort out the v5 and start buying parts!. I will start a build thread too document all the goings on when i get the garage a bit clearer. Hope you guys are ready for lots of questions! ahh i might as well start as i mean to go on...will a cb750 kick start lever fit the 550? Im guessing it would have the same shaft size and i prefer the longer look any reason why i can't fit it?
Thanks again.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 11:55:15 PM »
It depends on whether your 550 is an F or a K.
The kickstarts are different on each model.
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Dunk_B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »
few photos of the bike a friend took so i can get the owners document/v5 sorted. i haven't had a chance to have a good look over the bike yet i know a few bits are missing and its not in the best shape but that's exactly what im after for a project bike.

https://flic.kr/p/wkdQvs

https://flic.kr/p/wzwaTA

https://flic.kr/p/wkefjb

https://flic.kr/p/wzwaTA
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:14:29 AM by SteveD CB500F »

Offline Chris-freckle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
Hi dunc that looks a great basis for a restoration.
Chris

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal