Author Topic: Powder coating CB750 frame  (Read 2087 times)

Offline lukecb750

• View Profile
Powder coating CB750 frame
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice, I'm getting my frame powder coated. There seems to be lots of companies locally that offer this service (Huddersfield), is there anything such as a priming process etc I should ask about to get the best finish/anti rust coating? Or is powder coating simply just powder coating?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Powder coating CB750 frame
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
Mixed feelings on here about it  . Some love it some detest it. I stove enamelled my 400/4 (prone to chipping). PC'd my 750K0 frame etc. undecided on my three twins I am doing but if I use PC it will be LSN coatings in Castleford recommended to me by the painter Andrew Parnaby and John Wyatt used to use them I think. It was £130 for a CB750 frame, s/arm, both stands and all of the other necessary black bits including  blasting. They protected all threads etc pretty well and turnaround was a week. I would try to get a semi gloss finish on it. He does lots of bikes and cars , so not a 'garden furniture' merchant.

I think they have a stand a Rufforth Autojumble once a month (1st Saturday). Also there is an auto-paint guy there selling proper paint stripper for £7 a litre which is the dogs ... just like Nitromors was before 'legislation' fked it.

http://www.lsn-coatings.co.uk/

cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:02:47 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
There's no priming involved. The frame is grit blasted to remove every scrap of old paint, warmed up in an oven, sprayed with electrostatically charged powder and then heated up again.
All of the old bearing shells must be removed first, otherwise grease lurking behind the shell will leach out when heated and the powder won't stick.
Find a powder coater that just does bikes and not as a sideline.  That way it's more likely he'll take the trouble to blank off all of the threads etc and do a proper job.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
Luck,

I have used LSN coatings on my three restorations and they have been superb.
No prep needed they will blast it first to get rid of all previous coatings.
The finish from them has been first rate, thr only thing you will have to do is remove any bearings as the grease plays havoc with the ovens.

Regards,
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »
Never had a problem with powder coating and is easy to repair if scratched. Never have it done in gloss, looks too tarty.

Offline lukecb750

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
Thank you for the advice guys I will be powder coating it then, pretty set on satin black I'm pretty sure that will look nice and OEM.

Castleford isn't far from me so LSN could be a good option, cheers for the link Ash.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
Satin black is the closest to the early 70's OEM.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal