Author Topic: CB750K Alloy rims  (Read 10574 times)

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB750K Alloy rims
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »
Just an update on the wheel build as it might affect other members in the future. I have just taken hubs and borrani style alloy wheels from ebay piicambi10 to Southport Wheelbuilers (http://wheelbuilders.blogspot.co.uk/).  Great guy - Alan Atkinson - ex Bill Head & Bill Head mechanic from 70's. He advised that the angle of the spoke holes in the rims are for a small hub with a disc brake if you want to keep the original spoke angle/pattern. So, front is ok but as per Marks input earlier in this thread, the spoke angle can be changed but the spoke angle on the original wheels are designed to counter the acceleration and braking forces so the shallow angle/shorter spoke isn't ideal but will probably have little impact in reality.
Just thought info might be useful.
While I was there, I took the front wheel from my K2
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »
Sorry my big clumsy fingers hit wrong key and didn't finish message
std rim was from DS - a replica - as it had a slight kick in it - Alan did manage to true it but it was welded out of line and was rubbish when viewed at wheel build stage - just a bit of feedback for people considering cheaper DS rims
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »
Just an update on the wheel build as it might affect other members in the future. I have just taken hubs and borrani style alloy wheels from ebay piicambi10 to Southport Wheelbuilers (http://wheelbuilders.blogspot.co.uk/).  Great guy - Alan Atkinson - ex Bill Head & Bill Head mechanic from 70's. He advised that the angle of the spoke holes in the rims are for a small hub with a disc brake if you want to keep the original spoke angle/pattern. So, front is ok but as per Marks input earlier in this thread, the spoke angle can be changed but the spoke angle on the original wheels are designed to counter the acceleration and braking forces so the shallow angle/shorter spoke isn't ideal but will probably have little impact in reality.
Just thought info might be useful.
While I was there, I took the front wheel from my K2

I'm glad you got an answer on the spoke pattern Phil, Central Wheels told me they would have to use a different spoke pattern but not why, I have wondered ever since what the difference was!,  at least its the back wheel that's affected and not the front, the fact that Central Wheels didn't bother to mention it was an issue and your comment above "little impact in reality" (which I assume is what your wheel builder advised)give me confidence in using the wheel.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal