Author Topic: Misfire and running on 2 cylinders when hot?  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Misfire and running on 2 cylinders when hot?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 08:00:54 AM »
Does that count the private gunners that our government took all the guns off?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
going back to missing on 2 cylinders,check your charging ,make sure it is good,

I have just had the same issue,turns out it was voltage drop on the 2-3 coil,I tend to leave the bike on an Oxford charger,so
it good first thing,after a 30 min ride,,the voltage drops,and I started to get a low speed misfire,

just fitted a RR24 Electex combined rectifier/regulator,started and then ran as good as new,

so,if anyone wants a DSS dual output coil (fl703) copy,

s/h rectifier

and

s/h regulator.

let me know

regards

John
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Hudson.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »
Well i ended up cleaning the plugs again and rode it all weekend without any misfire issues.... strange! Until next time.

However for some reason the bike now jumps and kicks in 1st gear, like very harsh clutch slip, but theres no slip, just like it disengages instantly? Argh!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 12:55:31 PM »
going back to missing on 2 cylinders,check your charging ,make sure it is good,

I have just had the same issue,turns out it was voltage drop on the 2-3 coil,I tend to leave the bike on an Oxford charger,so
it good first thing,after a 30 min ride,,the voltage drops,and I started to get a low speed misfire,

just fitted a RR24 Electex combined rectifier/regulator,started and then ran as good as new,

so,if anyone wants a DSS dual output coil (fl703) copy,

s/h rectifier

and

s/h regulator.

let me know

regards

John

quick update,went for short check ride,after about 1/2 mile,cylinders 2-3 cut out,brought my 250 twin home,swopped the coil,and
its running ok now,while I was changing the coils I test the pld one again,it failed ,and back to the new one,it worked ,hope it cured it
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Hudson.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 01:48:07 PM »
^^ Good to know! Hopefully no issues for a while now ;)

Guys just a quick question instead of starting a new thread, im having clutch issues. With the clutch fully released while stationary in first gear , bike goes nowhere when reving, all of a sudden theres a "clunk" and the bike takes off. Sticking clutch plates?

Oil is fresh and at a good level, clutch adjusted correctly.

Took the cover off and saw this:

Does this look normal? Looks like theres quite a large gap between the friction plates, in comparison to pictures of other 550' clutches ive seen?

Not had time to take the clutch off and inspect due to losing my circlip pliers!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
It looks like one of the clutch plates is missing.   I'd invesigate that.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 08:04:36 AM »
Thats the later clutch with the thick spring loaded steel plate to stop clutch rattle

Offline Hudson.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 10:48:52 AM »
^^ Knowledge! Thanks!

Any ideas what might be causing the bike to rev in first with the clutch fully released, then bight all of a sudden? In the rest of first gear it occasionally kicks and jumps about too?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
Only had this on my 500/4 at 200,000 miles odd covered carting a sidecar around, I belive it was down to worn gear selector forks in the gearbox. Clutch baskett can wear a step in it too causing the plates to stick - I geuss the springs or pushrod being worn or broken might give rise to problems. I also noticed on my hondas that a mal adjusted drive chain or other final drive issues, even tyre pressure can lead to the gearbox playing up, even low engine oil makes em notchy before it gets low on the dipstick. Best advise is start by checking everthing fron the clutch leaver back is spot on - a bad culprit for causing grief is clutch cables that are getting stiff but still appear to work ok either throgh age or bad routing or a combination of both. Either way, a really thourough service can sometimes aleiviate seemingly bad issues that have you thinking an engine overhaul is inevitable.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal