Author Topic: Drum brake question  (Read 1005 times)

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Drum brake question
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:30:59 PM »
Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I was active on the forum, still read it often but not much time to work on my CB550.
Today, i was cleaning my drum brake and came across rather worrying crack in the drum, should I be worried? There was fair amount of damage from water standing in and patches where obviously brake pads didn't touch the lining, I decided to clean it up with 400 grade sandpaper followed by generous amount of brake cleaner. I know that best way would be good old lathe treatment, still that crack worries me a bit.

Any thoughts?

link to hi res images https://goo.gl/photos/4W52JXuviGaDVQrz5
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Drum brake question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:02:20 AM »
I don't think a lathe would sort that, you need to consider getting the drum liner replaced or find a decent used wheel, but the 500 and 550's were well known for cracking drums, so finding a used good one could be very difficult. I certainly wouldn't use that one knowing it was cracked

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Drum brake question
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »
That is junk without fitting a liner, search on the forum as i put up details of a man in the north who would machine out the cast and shrink in a liner, could even do it with the rim still on

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal