SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

gasket sets

(1/2) > >>

beemsquar:
Hi all,

I am in the process of ordering a new gasket set for reassembly, I will be updating my project page soon!

I've been very busy on the bike and with work so haven't had time to build and post, but I am making progress at last!

My question is, I was going to order a gasket set from DSS (NE Brand I think), But I've been reading some horror stories about people having leaks a few thousand miles in from the same place.

I was wondering if there are alternatives to this? (Ive seen a company called wemoto selling an Athena kit), has anyone fitted this?

Or are there any tips when applying the gaskets and O"rings?

I was going to buy original valve stem seals, as they seem cheap enough from DSS and don't want to risk it.

Also what product are people using to seal the crankcases together?

Any prefered places to buy these from?

As always any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

bytio:
Where ever possible use the genuine Honda head gasket and base gasket, plus genuine Honda oil seals. (Some of the after market seals are slightly thinner than original Honda, leaving less squeeze to seal.
When  re assembling the head make sure you seal properly the cam holder studs as they will leak oil to the outside world, as will some of the rocker cover bolts that have through holes to outside world..
As for sealant fir crankcases I always use Hondabond and never had any issues.
The above is for CB 750 SOHC, you don't say which model you have but principals will be the same

beemsquar:
Thanks for the advice.

Just the head gasket alone is as much as a complete kit!!

I will remember to seal the studs now too!

Out of interest has anyone on here used aftermarket sets and had/not had any issues??

I'm on a tight budget, but don't want to skimp now if I'll regret it later.

bytio:
If you have to use aftermarket head gasket use genuine Honda o rings and oil seals. These threads are full of stories about people using aftermarket gaskets and having to do the job again because if leaks. There is a "leak free  top end" thread on the American forum well worth reading

beemsquar:
Thank you bytio, do you have a link to that thread as I cant seem to find it.

I called DSS and PACRE racing, both of which say they build their engines with the NE Brand gaskets without any problems.

I really don't want build the engine twice but the honda gaskets are extortionate, I have an OEM seal kit ordered, and have genuine guide seals, its just the gaskets. I've already spent more than the bike is worth with this crank up build.

All new bearings, shells, alloy cam chain tensioner, primary chain, cam chain, dampers, slippers and guides etc etc.

Maybe as Ive gone this far I may as well buy the genuine gaskets.

Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version