Author Topic: Hi, new to SOHC, CD175 coming my way  (Read 8283 times)

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
Hi, new to SOHC, CD175 coming my way
« on: October 27, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm not only new to SOHC the forum, but cams in general... My first classic 4 stroke bike!
Lamretta's, Vespas, RD125, rgv250, RD LC350, even a Piaggio Ape.

Several years hiatus having kids and moving abroad took away from 2 wheels with a motor, but I've had the itch again.

I've purchased a cafe'd CD175 to get back in to riding and tinkering.

So I'd like to start by throwing out the known issues and asking for input, obvious answers or other listened to.

She's running fine, pulls strong (as strong as I expect a 40 year old 175 to) but press the horn and no sound but engine dies.
The parking/side light is ok, but switch to low beam or main beam then the engine dies.
Sounding earth/ connection related, but any ideas appreciated!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, new to SOHC, CD175 coming my way
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:28:13 PM »
Sounds like a duff battery, if you go for a new one, it should be 6 volt, but many were converted to 12 volt by owners back in the day to give better lights and the ability to use a halogen bulb.

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »
Thanks,
It's not been ridden in the last 2 months by the current(previous) owner so battery could be at fault, but it did do it while riding so I thought with some revs the Dynamo/ alternator or whatever charging it device is, would have given enough amps to run the light or horn?

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »
12v electrics is something on the list to look into, I imagine that will be quite a job and will take quite a bit of re-wiring the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:57:41 AM »
No re-wiring was necessary for conversion. Due to the design of the electrical/charging system, the battery dictates the output voltage, so all people had to do was change all the bulbs, the horn, flasher unit, ignition coil and condensor, then the battery for 12volt items. 12volt electrics were much better, as 12volt bulbs of any given wattage require half the amps of the same wattage 6volt bulb, so much less load on the electrical system, also 12volt bulbs etc are easier and cheaper to source.

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:43 AM »
Welcome !

Seem to remember I changed a CD175 1968 'sloper' over to 12 volt electrics back in the day using parts from a  scrap CB160 and in doing so got electric start. Changed alternator to 12v version,  bulbs, horn, coils, added starter and solenoid switch plus bar switch with button (blanking off plate for the starter on UK bike) had to graft in a 12v battery too  .. probably easier on yours as yours is a tube frame. I guess the CB175 parts would do too and must be pretty readily available. This is a brilliant forum but why not join Hondatwins.net as well. Wealth of info on there.

The CA175 had a 6v electric start but parts are rare and not the way forward for you.

You will find Parts manuals in my Dropbox link for part numbers needed.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html

Ash
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:45:14 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »
V=I x R and all that!

Thanks for the info guys.
Because of the new seat unit and light for the number plate being this century items, I'm starting to think it may already be converted.
Previous owner didn't do any of the work, it was his first bike so he just rode it and knows little about the build.

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »
Forgot to mention that I don't pick it up until tomorrow, else I would have just gone and stuck my multi meter on the battery and checked :)

I read a few bits on hondatwins, if only it was on Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:49:51 AM by Alex jb »

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
Well that's the first 40 mile ride and we are getting acquainted.

After a good run the horn and lights are working (somewhat) so it must have been just a low charge in the battery. When I swing by my helpful motor factors in Oadby I will ask them to do a battery test on it. I think their kit will work on 6v as well as 12v.
Spluttering above 3/4 throttle now, but as the previous owner knew literally nothing about old bikes/cars, it likely just the mixture or crap in the carb etc.
Looking forward to the journey of finding out!

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 12:18:20 PM »
Cb200 coil pack on order.
Looking for a suitable stator plate now

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 05:49:05 PM »
Gents,
Anyone know of a midlands based guy/shop that can set up my CD?
I have some aftermarket pod filter on and I'd like rid of it and back to standard, at the same time I'd like to undo whatever has been fiddled with in the carb.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »
Been a loooong time since I laid hands on one of those but if Gloucester isn't too far I will give it a go when it gets warmer

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »
It's not in his profile (hint ....) but from earlier posts I know Alex is in Leicester so Gloucester would be quite a trek!

A good starting point would be to check jet sizes and needle position are as standard.
Looking at overhaul kits there seem to be two pairs of sizes depending on the exact model.
If need be try setting air screw to default position, I guess this will be stated in the manual.

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 05:02:16 PM »
As far as I know, the bike is standard engine wise, other than the exhausts seem to be replacements and there is a pod air filter of unmarked brand.
I know the mixture screw will be off from the Haynes manual, as the last owner (young lad, first bike) fiddled with it.  But the aftermarket exhausts and filter were the previous owner to him.

Offline Alex jb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 06:00:32 PM »
Re set the mixture to the recommended and turned the choke lever all the way off once warm.
Previous owner was adamant that it needed some choke, seems like it kind of did, just better done via the mixture screw.

With the addition of the new battery and all LED bulbs, the electrical power consumption has dropped. I was suspecting the coil packs being starved and adding to the issue.

I think the bike is now closer to normal power, but still down as 3rd gear revs out quite well (60MPHish) and 4th gets to only 70.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:14:05 PM by Alex jb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal