Author Topic: K0 colour  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
K0 colour
« on: December 28, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
Ok kind of linking 2 threads here...
I have a 500 ko
I have the v5 date of first reg 15/03/72...
Last change of keeper 19/09/76

That keeper (2nd) was/is a respected chap who dates bikes for vjmc...( I won't name names as it's not my place

The story is the original keeper obviously brought it new...and for some reason took it apart early on in its life? This is backed up only by the speedo showing just north of 10000 miles
2nd keeper bought it in bits and had v5 put in his name so I belive all v5 details are correct...I did contact the chap by post as I had his address from 76 and luckily he still lives there and he confirmed all of this via email.

Now what I'm getting at is that the colour is shown as black...this is confirmed by original looking tank paint and a side panel with Honda sticker (see pic) plus a v5 that is only 4 years old...

So were all k0's green / brown or gold and where does this bike fit in...it's allready ananomaly so could it be just another Honda quirk

I hope that makes sense
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:38:38 PM by Woodside »

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: K0 colour
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
And to add the USA k0 I picked up a few weeks back is a black one?...see previous thread

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
Here  goes from the CB500 K0/K1 Parts Manual in my Dropbox link: (funny it says not in USA though?). First CB500 I rode (not owned) was black from new but had the larger clocks so must have been a K2 UK bike (L regd).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

FUNNILY though Black side cover only on non-usa K1 and not listed for K0 even thought the black tank was ?  :-\  and not actually listed as BLACK but assuming the B colour  suffix means it was black.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:57:39 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:59:26 PM »
Perfect....so I guess UK bike if I get around to it will be black...
The USA bike possibly could be a black one..but also could've been swapped at some point I have no long history to speak with that one
I know the brown and green ones were not to popular in the 80's and often got a repaint to black etc

I've been on the look out for a k0 parts book for a while.....if any one has one they dont want or require?...

In the meantime would it be possible for your Dropbox link ash as I feel I'm getting closer to dragging the boxes out to reassemble ...I know you have put the link up a few times recently and until I can lay my hands on a copy it will be very useful

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
Cheers ash
I have the proper honda manual and blue book ...
I kinda like having all the books don't know why
 its like pokamon cards ...you know "gotta have them all"
And I see copies out there but once again I like the originals....I just can't help it. ..I don't make it easy for myself

Thanks the links will be great
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:18:03 PM by Woodside »

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
Just had a quick look at Parts book
I see honda seem to have used a diagram of the earlier square cast engine blocks as opposed to the later rounded front type  page 53
perhaps I'm seeing it wrong....The mystery deepens as to why the design changed....They obviously thought they were going to run with that design at some point
 as bryan pointed out its in the early honda manual too

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 12:02:57 AM »
If you want a paper copy of the parts book you will have to look on the US ebay site as they do come up, I can do a cd copy you can print out.

My belief is that the crankcases were changed to allow easier casting/release

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 08:34:23 AM »
I suppose it could be an early import!
But I have spoken to another member  on this site and his uk reg k0 that he has in bits in one of his barns is only a handful of numbers from mine..that's pretty close and they would've left the factory and shipped together (probably)
If you read this trig/julie I don't suppose you have the vin to hand from your cracking k0 you done ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:36:04 AM by Woodside »

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:01:18 AM »
I have seen a few parts books on USA site ..quite reasonable to at times but the shipping is as much as the book....I have ask if shipping could be cheaper as I'm in no rush but no luck yet

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 09:22:46 AM »
Problem with US now is that they no longer do surface mail, only air mail which is cosiderably dearer and cuts out all the big bits

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 10:39:40 AM »
Cheers ash
I have the proper honda manual and blue book ...
I kinda like having all the books don't know why
 its like pokamon cards ...you know "gotta have them all"
And I see copies out there but once again I like the originals....I just can't help it. ..I don't make it easy for myself

Thanks the links will be great

I agree to an extent . my 'bible' is my original A4 size CB250/350K0 manual from 1969 (got the '68 one paper copy winging its way from Japan any time now as it includes the CB72 style JDM only parts ... also in the package isa copy of the '68 CD250 JDM only parts book)

However, in copied manuals you get PO scribblings like these on the 500. Evidently 'Shimpei' of Yamiya in Japan has an original 4/69 CB750 sandcast parts book and every page is covered in his scribblings of mods etc .. ..priceless!!

As you are probably now becoming  painfully aware the old CB500 anorak bug has now  got hold of me ... YOU  are responsible
Mr Jamesh  ;D ;D

TRANSLATION:

‘If it slips use 450 linings and late style CB77 clutch springs’.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:50:39 AM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal