Author Topic: I love the smell of NOS in the morning..........  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: I love the smell of NOS in the morning..........
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
I first found mention of the change when I visited the Chestnut Registrations web site and got a pop-up telling me the news.
Further investigation found notes of a meeting between the FBHVC (Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs) and the DVLA, see page 8 of:
http://fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/_file/200/fbhvc-news-4-15-pdf-pdf/
There are vehicles where the model range life spanned the period when black and white plates were and were not allowed; some owners
may wish to fit black and white plates even if on their particular vehicle they weren't fitted from new.
It's a bit like things like exhaust systems. back then some people binned the standard systems and fitted 4 into 1 systems because they
'looked modern', but now many people are seeking the originality factor. It's a matter of personal taste.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
The K1 I had when I was a student had a red frame, dark blue tank,  4 into 1 and a Yoshimura cam, and I had no urge to make it standard. How times change.

Anyhoo, I ordered the plate off Chestnut, and insured the bike with Bennets instead of the broken Sportster, after an initial hassle because due to a glitch their system for policy modifications had never heard of the CB750, though I could insure it under a new policy, which I did, fully comp for £80 or so, ironically cheaper than when I was 19 and could only afford TPFT cover. I do want a black and white plate because I can, I know all about the original 1972 cut off because I illegally put a black and white plate on my 1977 T140V. I got pulled for it on the M61, recovering the bike to my mums after I'd headbutted a VW in Manchester who hadn't seen me. The copper let me off with a warning, what he hadn't noticed was that I nearly rear ended his Range Rover because I had no front brake (I had taken off the broken disc), the forks were bent and twisted in the yokes, and the front wheel was shaped like a potato crisp.  :-[

Back in the garage today, the first job was the clutch inner cover, that all went well, and was all fastened up again and the clutch re-adjusted, , when I noticed the gasket still on the old cover - D'oh!!! I also took the chance to spray a bit of silver on the kickstart shaft. A nice number 7 bolt went on the kickstart pinch bolt too.

On to the other side, here it is apart. The 911's whaletail makes a useful table.

I'd swapped the gearshift cover first, big mistake - to get the alternator cover off I had to take the other 2 covers off first, or there was no slack on the wiring. Here I have fitted the alternator coils into the new cover:

Here it is back on but built into the new cover, before the wiring got tidied out of the way:

The finished result, the K0 sidepanel is temporary (and for sale soon) while I wait for painters who promise much but do little.

Once the wife had gone out I pinched her hairdrier, and put black heatshrink over the nasty red connectors on the front brake light switch.

Finally, here are the bits I took off, pm me if you are interested, otherwise they will appear soon on the bay of fleas.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 05:28:46 PM »
That's the best cup holder /side table ive seen

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »
Just for you, cup holder / side table in action, Oulton Park....

1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 12:53:11 PM »
Pardon me for butting in here, but shouldn't the transmission cover for the K1 be a plain specimen. The ones with the cast in gear change pattern were not introduced until the introduction of the K4, at least not according to the Original Honda CB750 book by John Wyatt. However, if you wish to be rid of the plain one, let me know what you want for it.

Cheers
Eric

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 01:05:01 PM »
Strictly speaking you're right Eric. I just assumed Davo was happy to compromise given it's a lovely NOS part..?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
Pardon me for butting in here, but shouldn't the transmission cover for the K1 be a plain specimen. The ones with the cast in gear change pattern were not introduced until the introduction of the K4, at least not according to the Original Honda CB750 book by John Wyatt. However, if you wish to be rid of the plain one, let me know what you want for it.

Cheers
Eric

I have challenged this claim before with John Wyatt as I have a original UK, 1972 CB750K2 and know of others with the gear change casting and, it is a true statement on USA K4 onwards. Not sure if this was down to Honda using two third party company's to make this case.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »
Trig, possibly a 'parts bin' issue on assembly. Mark Paris in his (My CB Book) points out that there where 2 factories assembling CB 750's.
As Eric's post. Just looked at the John Wyatt CB750 book, (page 73) gear pattern photograph is (K4) onward ? Also the alternator cover on later models  had recesses for mounting screw heads.

Alan

PS Eric, page 68 alternator cover
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »
You're right, I noticed the gearshift pattern wasn't on the case I took off, then I checked John Wyatt's book, and decided it was a compromise worth making given the lovely NOS finish. If an early case comes up in similar condition, though - I'd never say never!

Interesting what Trigger had to say about the gear pattern marks being on his K2 though, what did John Wyatt say? Frank's K2 for sale has them too, but its a cheapie for him at only £12.5K.  8)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131577067010

In my partsbook, K0 K1 and K2 all have a different suffix to the part number, the gearcase was the only one of the three covers I bought not to come with a Honda part label. If anyone is looking that close, they are looking too hard, says the sad man fitting the correct NOS Honda bolts everywhere where there already perfectly good bolts.

Tha cases are up on eBay as a job lot, Mr Cheeky Barsteward here is trying to get his money that I paid for the NOS ones  back, or as much of it as I can, I'll drop the price if (when) there are no takers. I'd rather sell all three together if possible, so I dont get stuck with anything. If I can't I'll split them, but for those asking after mine, DK in Stoke have a vapour blasted gear cover, without the shift pattern, for only £40, they don't seem to make the distinction as they list it as suitable for K1 to K6!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331504238061

They also have a used polished one, with the shift pattern, but it seems to have been removed with a crowbar, its broken in 2 places along the edge with the alternator cover.  :o

I got all my documents back from the DVLA today, with a note to say the logbook would follow - actually it was the other way round. As a historic vehicle, do I have to do anything each year to tax it?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:55:02 PM by MrDavo »
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 05:42:50 PM »
Yes you still have to apply for either tax or sorn annually  so that they can check insurance and MOT. 10 Mins on line usually

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 08:02:16 PM »
Just for you, cup holder / side table in action, Oulton Park....

d

Hmmmm espresso

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »
I got a  NOS F2 generator cover from GovnorsBridge Mcs and took a punt on it stripping Ok. The black paint almost fell off so pity anyone with an F2. The finish underneath was the same brushed ally finish as on the non painted version so just needed clear coat
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal