Author Topic: CB350/4 Countershaft bearing.  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: CB350/4 Countershaft bearing.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »
Thanks Orcadian! I've just read your rebuild blog for the 350/4 engine, and I've learned several things from your rebuild, first off I'm going to build an engine stand like you did, it looks to make life so much easier. Secondly Honda Moly 60 paste, for the main and big end bearings bearings, I was just going to lube mine with engine oil, but I take your point that the engine may stand for a while before I start it.
Thirdly, the Cam Chain tensioner on my 350 was stiff as you stated yours was and sure enough two bright marks are visible where the chain has rubbed...unfortunately I haven't got the facility to turn a replacement spindle so I'll be gently filing the burrs off.
You drew attention to the pip on the Primary Chain guide, I'd noticed them and wondered if they had any significance, now I know!
Also explaining about the lower engine mounting bolt lengths, when I removed mine both were bent, I wondered why, now I know why too! Fortunately there's no damage to the oil gallery. I shall be measuring and fitting tha correct M10x74mm bolts!
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm looking forward to including these nuggets in my rebuild blog.
Regards
Nigel.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
Yes Orcadian's blog is brilliant reading. For anyone who's not seen it (another Hull lad!)take a look . Lot of references to Willinghams Hull scrap yard in there too Ian. Spent loads of time there, plus Jackie Richies bike breakers in Hull and Fred winters in 1st Lane hessle 'back in the day'. Do you have any more info on the Lotus +2

Cheers ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
You are more than welcome Nigel, that's what this forum is all about.  Yes, Ash, Ritchie's and Fred Winters, them were t'days!  I'm still good friends with David and Pat Willingham and they eventually bought Fred Winters old place. When they sold up David had to excavate thousands of tons of contaminated earth from First Lane and have it disposed of before he was allowed to vacate the place.
Christine ran the Lotus Elan plus 2 for a good while before moving it on.  LOTUS - lots of trouble usually serious!  Colin Chapman only built them strong enough to get to the end of a race and no more. Worth cracking money now though!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:26:13 PM by orcadian »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:19:16 PM »
You are more than welcome Nigel, that's what this forum is all about.  Yes, Ash, Ritchie's and Fred Winters, them were t'days!  I'm still good friends with David and Pat Willingham and they eventually bought Fred Winters old place. When they sold up David had to excavate thousands of tons of contaminated earth from First Lane and have it disposed of before he was allowed to vacate the place.
Christine ran the Lotus Elan plus 2 for a good while before moving it on.  LOTUS - lots of trouble usually serious!  Colin Chapman only built them strong enough to get to the end of a race and no more. Worth cracking money now though!

Funny Ian.. I found a rig only last week I developed in the late 70's  for measuring the coef. of friction of rubber at extremely high pressures. Part of it is an Enerpac ram, massive 'G' cramp frame and hand pump ( more hoarding but handy for pressing out motorbike bushes). I worked at a firm who made the 'doughnut' Metalastic couplings for Lotus driveshafts  (same as Triumph 1300 FWD) and  also the torque tubes for the Marina propshaft.  What a 'kin sh*te car that  Marina was. Anyway one of these torque tubes on a car came adrift and the car pogo'd down a motorway somewhere, so I had the job of finding out the failure mode. Turned out that the  coeff. of friction  of rubber  reduced dramatically at extreme pressures. Someone had 'value engineered' the original design that increaded the rubber/metal pressure dramatically.

Anyone reading this will probably realize I just drank one too many Barcardi & Cokes  ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 11:06:51 AM »
Marina's........had a 1.3 Blaze one which went straight on at a Roundabout......wheels looked like those on a wild west stagecoach........so PX'd it for a White 1800TC which took out an overhead power line on a quiet country road......cable came crashing down around me......sparks everywhere and I got out of that wreck faster than a Typhoon Jet's Pilot ejecting.

Still...........I lived to tell the tale and bore my sohc Colleagues once again.

Have a nice weekend.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal