Author Topic: '78 CB550 first gear engagement problem.  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Hudson.

• View Profile
'78 CB550 first gear engagement problem.
« on: November 19, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
Hi,

Having issues with my 550 not engaging first gear properly and making some pretty interesting noises. Brief history of recent events:

- Was riding fine, clutch cable hopped out of bracket by clutch housing due to loose locknut

- Re-fitted cable and adjusted to suit

- Rode fine for about a day, then sometimes wouldnt take off in first gear (gear engaged, clutch out, revving free, then sometimes would bite and take off). Other gears fine

- Decided clutch plates possibly sticking, fitted new clutch pack and cleaned up slightly corroded steel plates

- Fresh oil with new clutch install

- Rode fine for around 20 miles, then same issue started again

- Started making strange rattling noise when engaging first, sometimes wont engage at all, sometimes does, but then rattles again with clutch released.

All other gears are fine and clutch doesnt slip throughout any gear at any revs. Been pulling away in 2nd to get it home.

I took this video to show you, rattles into first gear, start releasing clutch, rattle comes back:

https://youtu.be/y3jD9-GKxuI

It appears the rattling noise and vibrations are coming from the gear selector spindle or something related. Quite certain its not the clutch. Could it be the gear itself, or the selector mechanism??

Any pointers appreciated, its my first time owning a bike like this and ive not taken the engine apart yet!

Thanks

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: '78 CB550 first gear engagement problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
Pop the sump pan off and see if you have any bits in the bottom. Good place to start but, sounds like a selector problem.

Offline Hudson.

• View Profile
Re: '78 CB550 first gear engagement problem.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:51:15 PM »
Thanks for the input! I feared it would be internal issue, never mind! Something to do over winter!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal