Author Topic: 500 Rear hub retainer /cush drive  (Read 1721 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
500 Rear hub retainer /cush drive
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »
Pulled this out of my resto thread. Unfamiliar with the retainer on the 500 rear Hub. Should it be steel ? ..mine definitely is. Pretty sure it's left hand thread. Going to make a 4-peg tool at work tomorrow as I don't want to Fk it up. Looks expensive if you do! So glad that I don't have to deal with a cracked drum liner though. I presume I will get access to the rubber dampers once the retainer comes off.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 500 Rear hub retainer /cush drive
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »
The tool for front and rear retainer are available off ebay for about £50 the pair. The actual retainers I belive are hard to get hold of, I just saw one on ebay at £25 plus postage and that is in usa. I am afraid I am none the wiser about actually removing the retainer as to date I have never had the bearings fail, despite the milages I covered with a sidecar on my 500/4. I did try when re lining my brake drum, but gave up when welding a 1" section 2 foot bit of scrap on there still didn't budge it, so I just dressed the welds back and left it. I dread having to do the bearings based on that but think I may treat myself to the tool that is on ebay once my finances recover from the pain of getting 2 cars taxed and tested sack bang in the middle of the christmas period, my stupid fault for going soft and deciding to stop using the bike in winter.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:21:49 AM »
The tool for front and rear retainer are available off ebay for about £50 the pair. The actual retainers I belive are hard to get hold of, I just saw one on ebay at £25 plus postage and that is in usa. I am afraid I am none the wiser about actually removing the retainer as to date I have never had the bearings fail, despite the milages I covered with a sidecar on my 500/4. I did try when re lining my brake drum, but gave up when welding a 1" section 2 foot bit of scrap on there still didn't budge it, so I just dressed the welds back and left it. I dread having to do the bearings based on that but think I may treat myself to the tool that is on ebay once my finances recover from the pain of getting 2 cars taxed and tested sack bang in the middle of the christmas period, my stupid fault for going soft and deciding to stop using the bike in winter.

Posted on here before about my method of removing the front retainer and rear ones on 400/4 and CB twins. Never fked one up yet, even though PO's had knadgered them a bit.
Not gonna buy one I will make one at work Matt... then if you ever need one you can have it as this will be the one and only 500 I will ever restore.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »
Just checked retainer PN 41231-323-020 on CMS NL  and it looks like steel so original part and answered my own question !

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 05:12:43 PM »
they are l/h thread and may be staked, repro ones are available from silvers
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal