Author Topic: 1971 CB500K0 Resto 3/71 VIN 1000896  (Read 47902 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: 1971 CB500K0 Resto 3/71 VIN 1000896
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
I am a little confused about the stays  :-\
750 and 500K0 are 8mm holes in the stays, no rubbers or spacers. Just a bolt and washer ;)

The ones on his 500 K1 have the smaller holes but the new front guard I got is for a 750 and I am told it's identical to the 500 apart from the stays have larger holes for the spacers and washers. As he's sprinting it he says I can basically swap over whatever I want, within reason. Typical DK bike though ..fannied about with, supposed  3k original  miles but no inner in the speedo cable !

At  weekend stayed overnight  & saw his CB750K1 he got from Summerbud with Lesters on it (bargain) and he just got a Kwak '71 H1 500 project  that looks another  bargain to me .. included paintwork done by Dream Machine and lots of work done and then abandoned. I suspect hes going to sprint the Kwak and the CB500K1 is going to go down in the queue and he seems to be getting more and more peed with it. It 500K1 refuses to fire on one centre cylinder. Had a quick look myself , checked the coils and caps and plug and all fine. Squirted some Easystart down suspect cyl carb and it coughed into firing a bit and heated the pipe so suspect carburation but he's adamant he's ultrasonicaly cleaned them. Problem is, No filters on it and horrid sidewinder pipes plus he's running off the tank as he got it from DK. Mucky watery petrolly liquid peeing out of suspect cyl silencer. Said if he can't sort it he can try my carbs, once I have cleaned them out. Also he's borrowing a compression tester and told him to make sure no valves are  stuck / tappets set correctly. Any other ideas you 500 gurus?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:52:44 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
Def sounds like carbs to me Ash...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »

Yea that's what I thought. Think I would have at least had the top end off though to inspect it. He did take the cam cover off and it was pristine.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2016, 07:14:34 PM »
Does sound like the carbs, you could try running a fine bore tube from the vacuum gauge port on that carb to an open pot of petrol (only small in size)  to see if it'll suck fuel and so bypass that carb's jets to see if it'll run on all four.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2016, 07:51:29 PM »
a couple of months ago I stripped my carbs to do a cruzimage part overhaul,

if you disturb the slides,its important to check all slides open at the same time,I had similar symptoms and took me ages
to getting it running well again
  I mounted the bank of carbs in/on a workmate type bench,then using the throttle stop screw and a torch,I lowered all the slides,

shine the light through the carb (s) and chech they open together,I expect you will find is lagging,

hope it helps,of course the motor runs ok ish above 2,000 rpm with iffy carbs.

but sounds like a bag of spanners close to tickover
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2016, 09:10:17 AM »

Yea that's what I thought. Think I would have at least had the top end off though to inspect it. He did take the cam cover off and it was pristine.

Yesterday, he swapped two of the carbs over and the fault transposed then he found that one main jet had been drilled out with a massive hole. I bet DK just bunged a random set of carbs on it, as it had no airbox etc and the carbs had obviously been off. He's ordered 4 repair kits.  You just have to treat some of  these dealer import bikes as a cobbled together set of parts. Lots of them look like they have been in desert scrapyards for yonks and the the likes of DK tart them up with random bits to look more like a full bike. The thinkg is they give you loads of photos and you need to decide yourself if it's worth it. He now hates DK, I don't mind them myself  as they do have some real bargains sometimes.

Cheers for the advice...sorry to hijack my own thread  ;D ;D.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2016, 09:40:40 AM »
Been busy cleaning up and  satinizing the fork lowers (like original Honda ones were surface finished) on all of my projects including this 500K0 (apart from the 400/4 & the CB175) So that's 12 fork lowers to do   :'( :'( :'( :'(. I have set myself a task of a leg a day and so far so good. Luckily I had a NOS set of CB250K0 forks to replicate the finish from. Unfortunately, although NOS, they had a couple of chunks out of them so still needed the full works. Bought some Eastwood Diamond Clear coat to re-lacquer but not tried it out yet.

Still waiting for Yamiya bits from Japan to rebuild the engine ( primary chain & dampers, primary ball bearings  & needle roller bearing )

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2016, 09:57:23 PM »
Been busy cleaning up and  satinizing the fork lowers (like original Honda ones were surface finished) on all of my projects including this 500K0 (apart from the 400/4 & the CB175) So that's 12 fork lowers to do   :'( :'( :'( :'(. I have set myself a task of a leg a day and so far so good. Luckily I had a NOS set of CB250K0 forks to replicate the finish from. Unfortunately, although NOS, they had a couple of chunks out of them so still needed the full works. Bought some Eastwood Diamond Clear coat to re-lacquer but not tried it out yet.

Still waiting for Yamiya bits from Japan to rebuild the engine ( primary chain & dampers, primary ball bearings  & needle roller bearing )
I thought that said sanitising the first time I read it Ash, I thought, Gosh, he's really giving them forks an intense super clean ;D ;D ;D
Your commitment to these old bikes is to be admired and I'm sure they will be fantastic when they are finished. Just out of interest, have you any bikes on the road at the moment and when was the last time you rode a bike?
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2016, 07:39:58 AM »

I thought that said sanitising the first time I read it Ash, I thought, Gosh, he's really giving them forks an intense super clean ;D ;D ;D
Your commitment to these old bikes is to be admired and I'm sure they will be fantastic when they are finished. Just out of interest, have you any bikes on the road at the moment and when was the last time you rode a bike?

One old CB250K3 on the road .. last bike I rode was two weeks  back and it  was a CX500 'plastic maggot' dare I say on here, pre getting cafe'd (not by me) .

I deliberated long and hard about getting the fork finish correct  'cos I don't like the highly polished alloy look, I think it always lets so called 'show' bikes down. Done 8 fork bottoms now BTW in 'satinized' finish...so 4 to go ! I am just trying to get together a mini museum of the 60/70's Honda's I admired the most from tiddler up to CB750. I blame UK Pete and JamesH for giving me the 'bug'...call me a hoarder ...I am not even in their league! Back in the day when I went to work every day for 17 years on a bike I was not so fussy..even remember riding my CB350K around without a battery , just 20,000 microfard capacitor in its place  and getting a bollocking for using the then GF's hairdressing scissors for winkling out the circlip on my 1st 400/4 master cylinder.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2016, 09:23:31 PM »
Stripped the 500K0 forks yesterday ....  a first time on CB500/550 forks for me. Man are 500/4 forks designed to strip so much easier than the other Honda's I have. Alloy sliders are in nice condition with no 'dings' so will refurbish nicely. Will post pics of all 12 fork sliders I have 'satinized/polished' soon, as the 500 ones are the last to do (will do my 400/4 ones in due course, going to leave the CB175K5 with it's original 'patina' for now).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:25:28 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
Got all of my fork sliders cleaned up. Just need a final ultrasonic clean/degrease and clear coat. Bought some Eastwood Diamond Clear coat but not tried it yet.

Got my parts from Japan inc, primary chain and dampers plus some parts off that diamond geezer Bryan inc a nice gasket set.
Loads of BZP parts ready at Allenchrome inc spokes etc.

Got a nice set of USA bars C/W the K0 grips from DK, rather than rechroming my originals. I had chopped off one of my original  bar grips, as I thought it was a crabby aftermarket one but it wasn't  :-[ :-[

Started cleaning the head up today. Before I started, I filled the head skulls with acetone and no leakage so hoping to get away with lapping in the valves and general cleanup, provided the guides are OK.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Found my 'lost' oil restrictor jet ...it was still  in the barrels.

Decided against using the 1 piece oil ring piston ring sets  I bought (although I can't really see much wrong with using them, as Paul on here did and has not had any problems) and bought --323--- Genuine Honda 3-piece rings at great expense only to find I also already had loads of sets of CB125 single ones, which are essential the same part, just a slightly different oil control separator. Also found CB125 pistons are exactly the same as 500/4 ones.

My original camshaft had a couple of tiny pits on two lobes so I decided I would get a replacement, as the rest of head looked nice and I want to do the best job I can. I got a nice cam from DK which , for reasons I won't go into, I ended up getting for free. I measured the run-out in my head and it is 0.05 mm which is half of the allowed service limit but when I put it in my head, oiled up and rotate it there is a tight spot, nothing serious but slight resistance to turning  never had that before. Any ideas anyone?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:43:32 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2016, 02:41:06 PM »

My original camshaft had a couple of tiny pits on two lobes so I decided I would get a replacement, as the rest of head looked nice and I want to do the best job I can. I got a nice cam from DK which , for reasons I won't go into, I ended up getting for free. I measured the run-out in my head and it is 0.05 mm which is half of the allowed service limit but when I put it in my head, oiled up and rotate it there is a tight spot, nothing serious but slight resistance to turning  never had that before. Any ideas anyone?

Sussed the problem ... when I put the camshaft in 'V' blocks at work. Someone at DK must have very slightly bruised one of the corners of the notch at the end of the cam journal (tacho drive side). i'll have it dressed and should be OK then.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »
Six sets of forks on the go at once Ash. You must be a glutten for punishment. ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2016, 03:07:07 PM »
Six sets of forks on the go at once Ash. You must be a glutten for punishment. ;D

Did a set a day a month or so back, typically 2 hours/leg even using the lathe. TBH the 500K0 ones were a doddle C/W one of the CB250K0 sets and the 750K0 set which had deep marks in them. They will look nice when cleared coated though. Onto the hubs now. Had to make a rig to rotate the drums as my lathe is too small. Could do them at work but it would mean even longer away from home from the missus  ;D ;D (which wouldn't go down too well). Did I tell you a plastic air filter box off a 500 fell from the tall freezer in my garage onto her head when she opened the door .. this was 'reported to UK Pete when he visited me Friday  :-[ :-[ :-[.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:11:51 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
Yes ash that big nasty heft lump of an air box could of killed her and anyone in the near vicinity, she had a lucky escape

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal