Author Topic: 1971 CB500K0 Resto 3/71 VIN 1000896  (Read 49090 times)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 1971 CB500K0 Resto 3/71 VIN 1000896
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »
Whilst it may not be original you are better off with the later location pin for the drum and the later neutral and gear location rollers behind the clutch, and that was all part of a recall by Honda. Would you like a copy of the bulletin?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »
Whilst it may not be original you are better off with the later location pin for the drum and the later neutral and gear location rollers behind the clutch, and that was all part of a recall by Honda. Would you like a copy of the bulletin?

Yes please Bryan.. I will definitely take action on that if it was a recall.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »
Just because a bike was on a recall, not everyone took them. And I found that because the 500K0 was never sold in the UK (as Honda have stated  ??? ) non of the UK 500K0's had a recall notice issued.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2016, 05:29:50 PM »
Should be 4 pages, probably upside down but no time b4 going work to sort out

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
Cheers for that Bryan I will print and have a read.

You are correct Ken it's the one on the end of the countershaft and it's 20mm as opposed to 22mm on the other location on the other gear cluster shaft and yes one has different cage construction to the other. Both CB250 And CB500 countershaft bearings are listed as the same part No  but different needle cage construction on the examples I have looked at 'in the flesh' . Could it be Honda deviated from the normal bearing vendor and used a different manufacturers bearing to the normal Koyo one (Koyo on the 250K4) and it was prone to failure but still the same Part No.? I was planning on fitting the Koyo CB250 bearing as its from a really low mileage CB250K4. Not sure on what Graham states as you guys are the experts on these engines... it's all new to me ! I will definitely fit that extra part that is not in my engine though but  I also need to read Bryans SB's.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:32:07 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2016, 06:32:23 PM »
Are you getting confused here Graham? the bearing which has disintegrated is one of the end caps from the gearbox yet the oil guide plate you refer to is fitted to the primary shaft, nothing to do with the gearbox at all.
I know the guide plate was the mod fitted to the later K0 and K1 engines and as such is worth mentioning in it's own right but not sure why you'd think the lack of it caused the gearbox bearing to fail.

Ash, I gather the bearing is off the countershaft as it looks like it, Honda did alter the design on this bearing for the CB550 engine by incorporating a small oil pump inside it, maybe this was because they had reports of the bearing failing due to lack of oil, would account for why they felt the need to fit the oil pump in there. Also I seem to recall that one of the 2 needle rollers has the rollers trapped inside the cage whereas the other had loose rollers which had to be assembled inside the cage whilst it was sat in the outer housing, no idea why Honda used two different designs for what is essentially the exact same job. I have both of these NOS along with 90% of the gears and both shafts as well, just missing 3 of the gears for a complete NOS gearbox.

Check the fork selector tips for burning or burring as well, they are pretty hard to find new or even in decent condition second hand.

I'll probably have a lot of the parts you need in a bin somewhere but whether I can put my hands directly on them is another matter.

I think you maybe right there Ken, I can not remember what parts you sent me now (too many engines ago) I know that the oil guide plate was missing on two of the 500 K0 engines that I built and one was that bad on the roller bearing that I needed to replace the shaft. Which, I think you sent me.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2016, 06:40:19 PM »
Guess this is the mod on the 550 Ken.. Sure learning a lot today ...My brain hurts !

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »
Are you getting confused here Graham? the bearing which has disintegrated is one of the end caps from the gearbox yet the oil guide plate you refer to is fitted to the primary shaft, nothing to do with the gearbox at all.
I know the guide plate was the mod fitted to the later K0 and K1 engines and as such is worth mentioning in it's own right but not sure why you'd think the lack of it caused the gearbox bearing to fail.

Ash, I gather the bearing is off the countershaft as it looks like it, Honda did alter the design on this bearing for the CB550 engine by incorporating a small oil pump inside it, maybe this was because they had reports of the bearing failing due to lack of oil, would account for why they felt the need to fit the oil pump in there. Also I seem to recall that one of the 2 needle rollers has the rollers trapped inside the cage whereas the other had loose rollers which had to be assembled inside the cage whilst it was sat in the outer housing, no idea why Honda used two different designs for what is essentially the exact same job. I have both of these NOS along with 90% of the gears and both shafts as well, just missing 3 of the gears for a complete NOS gearbox.

Check the fork selector tips for burning or burring as well, they are pretty hard to find new or even in decent condition second hand.

I'll probably have a lot of the parts you need in a bin somewhere but whether I can put my hands directly on them is another matter.

I think you maybe right there Ken, I can not remember what parts you sent me now (too many engines ago) I know that the oil guide plate was missing on two of the 500 K0 engines that I built and one was that bad on the roller bearing that I needed to replace the shaft. Which, I think you sent me.

Yeah I sent you the oil guide plate and probably the primary shaft roller bearing as well, was some time ago. I may have another one Ash if your desperate, I'll certainly have the neutral selector mechanism as I remember it sat in an old clutch casing along with a complete clutch. Don't think I sent that to you did I Graham?

No clutch parts or selector mechanism Ken, I think it was a roller bearing, the housing, a few small parts and a shaft mate.  Think I may have some dog legs in good condition that came from a CB350 or something like that.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
I think the good thing is that this is all going on in the clutch area  so am i right in thinking that so long as I fit a decent countershaft 20mm needle roller bearing , everthing else can be sorted without further engine removal?

This bikes not going to cover loads of miles and has done 22k at least already so perhaps I can just assemble and gather the uprated parts, as and when. I don't  want it to be another 750K0 and I want to keep the momentum going.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2016, 07:39:25 AM »
Yes Ash, as long as the internal bearings are all OK the selector mechanism can be sorted out later.

I do not know why Honda put a clutch cover in the "Kit" unless there is some sort of casting mod on the inside but later covers are(were) relatively available as are the detents and if you fit the engine to frame without clutch or cover fitted it can all be done afterwards.

DO NOT fit engine without the generator cover attached as it is all that holds in the main gallery blanking plug and should you turn the engine over to circulate oil you get a big puddle plus a laborious search for a plug that has disappeared and is not magnetic---Yes I have got that T shirt!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2016, 10:51:57 PM »
Parts books and manuals wrong, I wonder why I have never used them ;D ;D ;D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2016, 12:24:52 AM »
Well got in from pub and measured both shafts as 20mm so yes you are correct  Ken not the same type though different outer housings and cage design for needle retention. So both bearings are 20mm and both are 20mm on CB250/350k  gearbox too.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
Plenty of progress but all boring stuff like trying to hone the old bores and see if they come up to scratch, cleaning crankcases etc

Got quite a few parts on order from Yamiya that are common to the  400/4 and CB750 (Hyvo primary chain and dampers, bearings etc.)

Also fixed the drill on LHS for a tenner and a bust  iPad Air I was given free , for a tenner... so joining you James with the new technology  ;D The bit of wood in the drill is  used  to get into awkward corners on the crankcases whilst cleaning in the parts washer.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:37:28 AM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal