Author Topic: phil read replica conversion  (Read 2658 times)

Offline whiteylfc

• SOHC Associate
  • Triumph Tiger 800,CB750 Honda Britain,CB750 PRR x
    • View Profile
phil read replica conversion
« on: December 21, 2015, 09:18:49 PM »
just wondering what the reaction is going to be for ripping apart a perfectly good Phil Read Replica to look for better handling,brakes,etc.I was told that Yamaha FZR front and rear ends were an easy shoe into the CB750 F2 frame so I've bought a 1986 Genesis off ebay and began the big build.
I know I might be committing a mortal sin but at least its got my brain cells humming again.
First thing....the front end is way too wide for the Honda headstock
Second thing....the Yamaha swingarm is way too wide for the Honda frame......

Any advice would be gladly accepted.......

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: phil read replica conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »
go for it! youre not changing anything that cant be changed back again at a later date. you can modify swingarms and headstocks if you have access to machining equipment or a good machinist. i've even seen a monoshock conversion on a Z1 where the top shock mount could be ground off again without affecting the standard frame at all. trawl the yank site for headstock and rear end swapping. they seem to be less concerned about originality over there. good luck!!  (BTW, i still have youre footpeg. i'll post it after christmas)
pete.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:23:18 AM »
Just my thoughts, and a difference of opinion from the previous post, but nothing wrong with that.
From a quick peruse of the web the info I have seen suggests that there were 150 built if which there are estimated to be 35 left.
If that is the case then apart from anything else the value of the bike lies in its rarity.
I would say don't mess with it, if you want to build a custom bike with modern parts then start with a less rare base bike.
Maybe get hold of a standard F2 and build a replica replica with the modern bits you want to use.
I'm sure suitable parts are available somewhere so you could still get the PRR look if that's what you want.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:19:29 PM by Chris400F »

Offline whiteylfc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »
hi chris...I run the Phil Read Replica owners club and website and pretty much know where all the remaining genuine Reads are. Having put together 2 Reads and 2 Honda Britains,I fancied doing this Read different to the rest.It hadn't moved for 20 years and the wheels,brakes,chromework and clocks were shot.A guy in the owners club has successfully converted his Read with FZR parts and it looks mint.The rear swingarm is in,but I need to weld 2 lugs on for the bottom of the springs.The headstock is going to need machining down to take smaller roller bearings.I've not worked out whether the standard bars will fit or if I have to use adjustable clip ons.Once originality is out the window I can look at anything that improves its looks or performance.I'm taking it to the Classic TT in 2016 so I've plenty to do this winter.....

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:15:16 PM »
Go for it then. As I said, just my thoughts, which were without knowing the state of the bike which sounds as if it is more
of a rebuild project than the 'perfectly good' of the original post.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »
Hi John. Nice to see you back on the forum again.

Don't know if its any relevance to what your doing, but I am looking at fitting early CB600 front and rear to an F2.
Have got the bits, and it looks from the tape like a reasonably easy swap. Trying to keep it all Honda.

Do you remember me coming up and buying the F2 frame from you summer before last. Have a look at what KNE599V looks like now.
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8188.msg53822.html#msg53822

Cheers Roy.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline whiteylfc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »
Hi Roy....good to hear from you and see what you did to KNE......Everything that was on that bike I put onto a T plate frame that I'm now putting the modifications on.I only started it because I was told it was easy to do................. ITS NOT.....!!but as they say on Mastermind.....I've started so i'll finish....

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 10:44:31 AM »
Good luck with it John. Keep us posted with some piccies. Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline whiteylfc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
hi roy...a couple of new photos to show you of todays work.i wanted to temporarily fit all the fzr front end to see what will need altering.although the forks are much wider,the fairing hardly needs any shaving.the fzr's clip on bars are in exactly the right position which will save loads of time and expense......

Offline whiteylfc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 10:20:21 PM »
the fzr swinging arm is fitted and I've had alloy lugs welded on to take the bottom of the rear shocks.i've put a 17 tooth K5 front sprocket for a 530 chain to match the fzr rear sprocket.
does anyone know if anyone supplies new rear brake cylinders?the two I have are completely seized and possibly beyond rebuilding.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal