Author Topic: Peed off with Paint Stripper . . gonna make my own.  (Read 7307 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Peed off with Paint Stripper . . gonna make my own.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
LOL Ash, I never thought that 2 people I knew had committed suicide, you don't think it was me do you  :)

It was this comment Oddjob or was it the same person?

“It's possible I did the PDI on that bike Stew, might even have been the one who test rode her.
Mechanic I used to work with at Queenies went working for the Honda shop, for some reason he committed suicide not long after. Never did find out why he did it”
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
Well a few failures so far (using concentrated caustic soda/ Methylene Chloride (Di-chloromethane) but just 'reverse engineered'  a paint stripper patent CA1236760 A1, which looks really promising and ordered the good stuff chemicals off eBay plus found 500g tub of caustic soda locally for 1.20 GBP.

Bentonite clay (found in  Wyoming USA, where my CB350K1 happened to come from and major ingredient in Kitty Litter!)
Xanthan gum
Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide)

Evidently the trick it to get the caustic into a gel form, then I intend to  possibly add methylene chloride to give it some extra 'kick'.

Will keep you posted on its effectiveness but determined to crack this !!

Ash

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:27:08 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »
I love reading about your experiments ash, i am sure you will crack this formula soon
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 02:56:49 PM »
Well I have tried allsorts. I have managed to make a paste up including caustic soda and the magic gum and Fullers Earth ( main ingredient of kitty litter)  but it's not a patch on the old formula Nitromors.

However, looking at the legislation (see below) you can STILL buy stripper for removal of adhesives, which legally contains Methylene Chloride but it's illegal to sell it for use as paintstripper and illegal  to use it for paint stripping by the end user. Ashimoto' known lawbreaker' has a  litre of the stuff coming in the post ' to strip adhesive only' honest guvnor  ;D

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:58:57 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »
I've cooincidentlly got some adhesive to strip too! Where did you source said product?

Tim
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
At Leeds station will pm later as I don't want to get the guy who sold me it a bollocking

Home now PM sent

See other post with details
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:32:50 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 07:36:34 AM »
Went to RUFFORTH autojumble yesterday and got 1 litre of this for 7 quid (5l  tin was 25 quid). I tried it this morning and just seems like the old Nitromors to me. Within minutes of brushing it onto  a  Honda painted fork ear,  the paint bubbled up just like the old stuff.

Bit more expensive here but worth spotting at autojumbles

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINAL-SYSTEMS-HEAVY-DUTY-PAINT-VARNISH-STRIPPER-1-LTR-FOR-ALL-PAINT-TYPES-/330927872109

l also got the two part adhesive remover delivered this week,  but not tried it out yet.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:42:07 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
I bough 5 litres of cellulose thinners at Kempton Park many years ago. I went with Eamon and he said "buy it while you can"
It's great for cleaning carbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 01:46:06 PM »
I bough 5 litres of cellulose thinners at Kempton Park many years ago. I went with Eamon and he said "buy it while you can"
It's great for cleaning carbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes thinners was 5 quid yesterday at Rufforth Steve..which sounded like bargain to me.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »
Went to RUFFORTH autojumble yesterday and got 1 litre of this for 7 quid (5l  tin was 25 quid). I tried it this morning and just seems like the old Nitromors to me. Within minutes of brushing it onto  a  Honda painted fork ear,  the paint bubbled up just like the old stuff.

Bit more expensive here but worth spotting at autojumbles

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINAL-SYSTEMS-HEAVY-DUTY-PAINT-VARNISH-STRIPPER-1-LTR-FOR-ALL-PAINT-TYPES-/330927872109

l also got the two part adhesive remover delivered this week,  but not tried it out yet.

Ash,
      I said earlier in the post go to your local re finishing supplier I bought some they use in the trade and they will split it for you. The stuff is heavy duty you will need gloves as it burns if you splash it and a mask as it takes your breath away.
The tank I stripped had about five layers on it inc some high build primer it whipped this of no trouble. Only tip don't yes it on plastic parts as it WILL destroy them.

Regards
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
UPDATE

The cost of the materials for the home-brew stripper worked out more than you can buy the 'restricted to industrial use only stuff' that you can buy freely buy at autojumbles , so I just went that route. The first product below was the best  as it's like the original Nitromors. All the three listed contain the 'restricted for  use'  Dichloromethane but who cares selling at Autojumbles. Close your eyes Julie  :)

The adhesive stripper 510 (3rd item down) is dual component and works great but it contains Formic acid and the parts rust really badly if you don't wash off every trace. ( see  picture of mudguard attached)

BEST Paint stripper I found  PAID £7 / litre at Rufforth Auto Jumble:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINAL-SYSTEMS-HEAVY-DUTY-PAINT-VARNISH-STRIPPER-1-LTR-FOR-ALL-PAINT-TYPES-/330927872109?hash=item4d0cd6986d:g:yUoAAMXQwo9RnTpB

Cheapest I found PAID £20 for 5 litre tin at Newark Auto Jumble last week: Works but not tried out fully yet

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAINT-STRIPPER-THICK-10-Litres-2-x-5L-Cans-/252219645631?hash=item3ab9765ebf:m:mL6GsEWfMYKHvgU91ZjlDEA

510 ADHESIVE REMOVER

Paid around £13 for 1 litre  sample direct from the manufacturer  inc postage; effective but corrodes afterwards very quickly (see picture of use on a painted mudguard)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/products.htm#G7   Scroll down to 510 Adhesive remover .. you can buy a 1 litre ‘ sample amount’

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
Good info as always ash, thanks for sharing
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal