Author Topic: Brake pad choice, sintered vs organic  (Read 2552 times)

jimv50

Brake pad choice, sintered vs organic
« on: January 12, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »
Never was impressed with the stopping power of the lone disc upfront on the CB650.
Stainless steel braided line was fitted prior to my ownership, looks like a new piston was fitted recently and all looks good around the caliper, except what looks like sbs sintered pads fitted. see attached photo of old and new pads.
 I didn't think this is the right choice for a bike of this age so I've got hold of original Honda pads and fitted them in time for the winter weather.
Any opinions about this choice ?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pad choice, sintered vs organic
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
I can't be 100% sure, but I seem to recall ALL CB650 models had twin discs on the front as standard, which means a previous owner has probably removed the second disc/caliper as a cheap bodge as opposed to repairing properly, as brake parts can be pricey. If that is the case, that would explain the poor braking, as would leaving a twin disc master cylinder on the bike with only one disc fitted, lots of pull required at the bars, for relatively little braking force. Also, bikes designed for twin discs often have flimsy mudguards, which have little or no bracing action when the brake is applied. Fine if both calipers are set up and working, but with only one disc fitted the forks will want to twist under braking, and feel horrible. My good lady has a CB650SC (nighthawk) also an 82 model, and that has twin discs.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »
I have used both organic and sintered pads on my 1989 Moto Guzzi California, a bike which when 2 up and fully loaded weighs around 1/2 a ton.

I found that the sintered pads have more initial bite but pretty much the same overall braking power BUT they do wear the discs significantly which is certainly a consideration when OEM spares are no longer available. I'm going back to EBC organic this year.

jimv50

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:54:12 PM »
CB650 SC had twin disc setup, comstar wheels etc, 1981 CB650 Standard had the single disc, to my regret.
Brake fluid on my bike is tea coloured so I'll be changing that before  the weekend, other than that I'll try and get a OEM  master cylinder rebuild kit soon enough.
My disc has no lip on it and is smooth across both faces so no damage done.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:21:29 PM by jimv50 »

jimv50

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »
Changed the pads and the brakes had much more feel,changed the brake fluid, Motul Dot 3/4, and now the brakes are probably are as good as they are ever going to get on a bike of this age.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal