SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

1982 Nighthawk Restoration ( attempt )

(1/5) > >>

Krzychu:
Hi there, so after introducing myself I think it might be time to start a post in here to keep You all up to date on the progress ( if any ) on the restoration of my little " Hania "
I bought the bike back in July '15 from a Polish lad here in NI that wanted to send it to Poland and get it rebuild but the decided not to.
She was starting when I got it ( with a push ) but didn't work in idle. I had the top of the engine removed, checked the bores, pistons, rings and so on. Got it back together with new seals, new valve stem seals, o rings... Put in new spark plugs, new wires and caps. I had the carbs out and cleaned them, got them back in but with no new parts there. New battery and she starts and runs, still not what You would expect but. As the carb boots are old and cracked I think she might be catching some air on the side there, so have to get them ordered and replace as well.

Basically the plan is to get her rebuild to standard spec, but the work will be progressing slowly as there are time and funds limitations :)
I'm a hands on man, love bikes and into mechanics so as far as possible I get it all done myself with the exception of the obvious ie. powder coating and chromes.

All help and advice always welcome, also if You have any questions - shoot :)

Krzychu:
Some pics of the bike

Krzychu:
Old and new seat. Now as I understand some may say that it's a funny way to start with the seat let me explain. My dad back in Poland is working in a company that is rebuilding seat for lorries and they do new upholstery for cars and bikes, so it didn't cost me anything to get it done ;)

Krzychu:
Afternoon All, new carb boots and repair kit for the infamous starter clutch ordered. Can't wait for them to arrive. ::)
In the meantime I got some work going on the seat brackets / mounts. They were all rusted so got them stripped to bare metal and covered with Zinc spray. Maybe tomorrow I will get my hands on some black paint and get them finished.

royhall:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Interesting little project you have going there, we don't get many of those on here. Don't want to rain on your parade, but be careful what you paint your parts with as some paints do not adhere very well to zinc based products such as cold galvanise spray. An etching primer is usually required first. Good luck with the project, if you need advice just ask. Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version