Author Topic: Carb rebuild  (Read 1651 times)

Offline mgy66

• View Profile
Carb rebuild
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:32:04 AM »
Hi, this one is a follow up on my previous Idle and Startup Setting where i was questioning my carbs tuning.
I ended up taking out the carbs for a good ultrasonic cleaning... I recommend using at least 2l cleaner machine (i bought 1.3 and it is just enough for 1 carb).

So far so good except I thought I would take out the rubbers that are fixed onto the top cover and guide the throttle rods. I think they are here to prevent dust to go through the top covers into the cars. As they hardened with age they broke on me!

Unfortunately, this is 'discountinued'. Nrp or DS or even in the US, all I could source are the 'dust cap' from 1976 (on the super sport) that are mounted on the connection between the rods and the lever, at the adjuster screw level. These are sliding with the rods and are about USD12 each...!

Has anyone try to mount these onto a K1 to K5? It looks like it is the same function though mine are fix onto the top cover.

My other option would be to rebuild the carbs w/o the rubber and us some silicon to make the seal... Ugly, I know!

Any thought?
BTW, it was worthwhile to do the whole exercise... I hope I have solved my starting prb as I found one needle clip at level 3 where all were at level 4. Plus you would not believe the amount of dirt. It's got to run better now, until I can rebuild:)
Many thanks
mgy

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Carb rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:46:16 AM »
Hi Mgy, I'm struggling to understand the parts that are broken. Perhaps if you can share some pictures of the parts that have broken we may be able to help locate some spares?

Offline mgy66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »
Thanks,

Basically it is the tiny black rubber in the centre of the top cover and referred as 16014-300-014, hopefully visualized in pictures below.

The part assembly (top cover, holding ring screw and rubber) is discontinued and I suspect it would be even harder to find the rubber part. The repair kit only provide the gasket that goes inside the carbs.
Best,
Marc

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
Hi Marc. Have you broken them on all 4 carbs? Gut feeling is that your best bet is to scour ebay for a used set for spares or repair. if you're lucky, you'll find a cheap set. I'll take a look in my spares stash but I'm not sure I have spare caps..

Offline mgy66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
2 pieces broken before I stopped with the idea of taking them out... Yes, I am kind of preparing myself to that idea but I want to get clarity on what is the function of this part and whether I can leave w/o it.

Also, I can by some dust caps 16032-300-004 that go on the connection between the lever and the adjuster screws from 1976 models but I wonder if that can be mounted on K1 and if it would achieve the same function.

Thanks for your thoughts and will chase ebay...
Best,
Marc

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »
2 pieces broken before I stopped with the idea of taking them out... Yes, I am kind of preparing myself to that idea but I want to get clarity on what is the function of this part and whether I can leave w/o it.

Also, I can by some dust caps 16032-300-004 that go on the connection between the lever and the adjuster screws from 1976 models but I wonder if that can be mounted on K1 and if it would achieve the same function.

Thanks for your thoughts and will chase ebay...
Best,
Marc

That part number you've quoted is for the complete throttle rod assy, not the dust boot.

Do you mean this part?: 16154-300-004 (http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k6-four-usa_model14380/cap-dust_16154300004/#.VqpH0fmLSHs)

Offline mgy66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:50:46 PM »
sorry, yes that the one called dust cap but I am not sure it achieve the same function than the static one. I think the damaged one ensure no air leakage at the passage of the rod. so bit more than a dust cap. it is annoying to see that the gasket is still in productuin with the carbs rebuild kit but w/o these rubbers... maybe they are not so critical and would be fine w/o.
best,
mgy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal