Author Topic: 75 CB400 "Dad's old bike" project  (Read 32991 times)

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
  • I haven't a clue what I'm doing...
    • View Profile
75 CB400 "Dad's old bike" project
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:30 PM »
Started today on tearing down my Dad's old bike.  (Introduction here : http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,9471.0.html)

I knew it was a basket case, but in the cold light of day... Holy crap, this is in a bad way.

First step, pull everything to bits, bag everything up and label the leccy on the way, see what is salvageable or saleable. Bugger all budget to do it, so a lot of elbow grease and pulling favours from various people I know will be going on.

Today, took the Girl with me, as she is excited as hell about it. She loved the tea breaks, anyway.  ;D

A quick overview of all the issues...
The beginning [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

All that remains attached of the seat base... [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

To be fair, a few blobs of weld might sort it... on second thoughts, off to the tip with the original seat. Nothing is saving that. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Casings are all in a shocking mix of brush paint, pitting and grime. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 75 CB400 "Dad's old bike" project
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:33:51 PM »
Confirming how long it's been since that day I had to go and recover it after it got nicked. Pushing it up hill all the way home with seized brakes nearly killed me. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Downpipes look salvageable. I will probably wrap these in black header wrap to keep costs down. Silencer hasn't faired so well and is toast. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Front mudguard is rusty & bent. (You can see that's a bend where it got ridden off with a u lock through the front wheel!) I have sourced a replacement, but may go for a stubby anyway. Not yet fully decided on the front end yet. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tank needs a real going over, but nothing that can't be saved and given a new lease of life. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 08:45:30 PM »
The clocks look to be off a 350LC, so are going. I have some original clocks sourced, along with a few other bits, in exchange for these, so a decent result. They will clean up fine. I have plans for the new clocks when they arrive. I want to take height out of the front end, but retain some key points of originality. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Back at the other end, removed the one shiny bit of the whole machine! So naturally, it came off and will be sold as it doesn't fit with the plan. Looks to have been replaced since the bike left my Dad. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Buoyed by something that came off easy and looked shiny, we had a tea-break.  ;D [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
The rest of the morning was lost to trying to get the damn bolts out of the indicator brackets to release the rear mudguard. (I say mudguard, I mean sheet of holes and rust...) Gave up in the end and will return with a grinder and a drill to finish that off.

Couple more shots showing the extent of the project. Will keep it updated if any interest the build. Just a gentle start and getting to know it for now. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:58:37 PM »
I've been looking at the car and can't work out what it is. Looks a bit 70s Japanese?

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:17:50 PM »
It's a Plymouth Barracuda.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:05:21 AM »
Or as the song sez Bacarooda

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »
 babbaraccacoocoodadda!

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »
What fantastic story this is ... keep those pictures coming our way with your progress. You should be really proud of the 'little 'un' too . My two daughters show zero interest in anything other than makeup,selfies,  gossip &  reality TV.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »
What a challenging project, it will make it all the sweeter when you finish it.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
I think with a bit more choke, that might have started!
I'm sure you will make it live to fight another day, there's a great wealth of knowledge on here and I would like to donate something to your project in memory of your Dad.  I have a scruffy side panel or two knocking around.  PM me and I'll fire them off to you.  I'm still collecting odds and ends for my Dads 1953 BSA Golden Flash Plunger.

Nice reg number on it too, I think NCW was Burnley, Lancs or thereabouts, still on the system too and SHOULD be tax exempt from April 2017 providing the date keeps rolling - there's a target to aim for!

Ian

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »
As others have said, something of a challenge, but looks a reasonable basis to start with and with the help of your glamorous assistant I'm sure you will get it sorted.
I wouldn't be worrying about originality either given the history of the bike. One more SOHC saved from the scrap heap is good by me.

Great gesture from Orcadian. Just shows the great people we have on here.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »
If you make a list of what's required, maybe we can all help out.  I've got some bits that I don't want to chuck out but I don't mind chucking them in your direction.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
Hello Pops (is that what we call you?) and daughter,

Count me in. I have a few bits left over from my 400 rebuild that you're welcome to if/when needed.

I learned loads from the kind souls on this forum that helped me progress and/or saved me a few bob. If I can repay the benefit received through helping your progress, that would be great.

Please keep posting your questions and your photo progress reports.

Best wishes to you both on your project,

D.
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
Hello Pops (is that what we call you?) and daughter,

You can call me anything you like, as long as it's not late for me tea.  ;D

Pop is fine, I've been called far worse.  ;)

Just finished for the day and got chance to reply and I'm genuinely blown away by the kind words and offers. Not expected and very kind to someone you guys don't even know. Thank you.

Ian / Drew, thanks particularly for the offers, any and all help gratefully received. The plan this far was to strip back to save funds and ditch what isn't necessary, so hoping I won't need too much in the way of replacement bits, but I've no doubt a lot of this bike is missing or past saving, so still formulating a final plan. I will post up what's happening as it happens and what bits I know I need and hopefully some deals will be available. Ian, will PM re the side panels, thank you.

Ash and those who mentioned my helper, yes I'm lucky, she is a petrol head like her old man and loves to help me (so far). She is very much a part of the project and gets my attachment to it completely. I hope when I'm gone, she will keep this in the family.

Currently, my biggest problem is looking like the front end. Forks and yokes may be beyond repair, so considering options there.

I will keep the thread updated regularly.

Instant problem with my cafe racer idea is that Little Miss has now made me promise it will be a two seater so she can come on the back.  :D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:34:10 PM by Pops400 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal