SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

75 CB400 "Dad's old bike" project

(1/49) > >>

Pops400:
Started today on tearing down my Dad's old bike.  (Introduction here : http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,9471.0.html)

I knew it was a basket case, but in the cold light of day... Holy crap, this is in a bad way.

First step, pull everything to bits, bag everything up and label the leccy on the way, see what is salvageable or saleable. Bugger all budget to do it, so a lot of elbow grease and pulling favours from various people I know will be going on.

Today, took the Girl with me, as she is excited as hell about it. She loved the tea breaks, anyway.  ;D

A quick overview of all the issues...
The beginning [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

All that remains attached of the seat base... [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

To be fair, a few blobs of weld might sort it... on second thoughts, off to the tip with the original seat. Nothing is saving that. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Casings are all in a shocking mix of brush paint, pitting and grime. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Pops400:
Confirming how long it's been since that day I had to go and recover it after it got nicked. Pushing it up hill all the way home with seized brakes nearly killed me. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Downpipes look salvageable. I will probably wrap these in black header wrap to keep costs down. Silencer hasn't faired so well and is toast. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Front mudguard is rusty & bent. (You can see that's a bend where it got ridden off with a u lock through the front wheel!) I have sourced a replacement, but may go for a stubby anyway. Not yet fully decided on the front end yet. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tank needs a real going over, but nothing that can't be saved and given a new lease of life. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Pops400:
The clocks look to be off a 350LC, so are going. I have some original clocks sourced, along with a few other bits, in exchange for these, so a decent result. They will clean up fine. I have plans for the new clocks when they arrive. I want to take height out of the front end, but retain some key points of originality. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Back at the other end, removed the one shiny bit of the whole machine! So naturally, it came off and will be sold as it doesn't fit with the plan. Looks to have been replaced since the bike left my Dad. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Buoyed by something that came off easy and looked shiny, we had a tea-break.  ;D [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Pops400:
The rest of the morning was lost to trying to get the damn bolts out of the indicator brackets to release the rear mudguard. (I say mudguard, I mean sheet of holes and rust...) Gave up in the end and will return with a grinder and a drill to finish that off.

Couple more shots showing the extent of the project. Will keep it updated if any interest the build. Just a gentle start and getting to know it for now. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

wolfheze:
I've been looking at the car and can't work out what it is. Looks a bit 70s Japanese?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version