Author Topic: 75 CB400 "Dad's old bike" project  (Read 33353 times)

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
  • I haven't a clue what I'm doing...
    • View Profile
Re: 75 CB400 "Dad's old bike" project
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
OK, I thought I'd better update where I'm at, I've had a few messages behind the scenes and not been able to answer properly as my head wasnt right on it.

The reality has hit home and there has been a lot of soul searching over the last week and a bit. I stood in the unit surrounded by all this decrepit old crap and a bent, split frame and reality really sank in. This thing has been destroyed by butchery, ravaged by time and bent by bastard thieves. It is in a shocking state and way beyond my talent level. Every single part is corroded to  :-X or broken. It hit me really hard and I had to walk away.

I simply can't afford the repairs to the frame and I won't accept a bodge for the sake of safety, so it is game over for moving on with that. I appreciate all the thoughts on PM about replacing the frame, but I have had to ask myself what is important about the build to me, because it sure as hell isnt value once it is done. This is 100% sentimental and without the original frame, it simply isnt my Dads bike.

So with pure out and out common sense sitting on my shoulder... F :-X it, I'm wet already, I might as well get soaked ;D. Game on!!!

I have decided to park the frame and think about how I get round that and get on with trying to restore what parts I can in the meantime. I have managed to persuade someone to let me use their blasting booth, so will be taking the frame there to get a true appraisal of the damage and get some other bits blasted off. That will keep Jess and I busy whilst I work everything else out and if all else fails, I've learned something and you lot will get some (hopefully) nice shiny parts to buy.

A set back. A big one, but just a set back. As a wise man once said to me, Never give up.

We are back in business, the girl and I.I shall recommence boring you sensless shortly.
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2016, 07:58:18 PM »
Chin up could be worse  ;)
I still think it could be worth tracking down another frame to splice yours.
One without a v5 wont be worth much.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2016, 08:00:56 PM »
Well done Pops, a good decision I reckon. Hopefully you realise just how much help and advice is available on this forum from people who genuinely want to keep, or get, these old girl's on the road for many a reason, be it sentimental, egotistical or just sheer madness. It will all be worth it in the end, even if it's just spending quality time with Jess. There's no rush or time limit, it's been sitting around for a long time so a bit longer won't matter at all. Good luck.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
Thanks Both

Yes, V5'less frame is the current strategy, but will see what happens.

And yes, madness it is. But thanks to some friendly forum members I am back in the foolish plight. 25 years I've waited to ride the damn thing. Another few won't hurt. Just needed a head clear.

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 22, 2016, 09:13:07 PM »
I think your attitude is admirable. Sure I am like most here - if it ain't economical to repair, chuck it and buy a replacement.... In your case you can't replace your dad's history. Stick at it, credit to you! Your girl will be so proud of you! (should read even prouder I'm sure!)
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 22, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »
Thank you.  8)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2016, 10:59:56 PM »
I was in two minds about a replacement frame too after my 400 got nicked,  bent, sidestand bracket broken off.  Is it the same bike or is it like granddad's broom? (three new heads and two new handles).   In essence,  yes, it is the same bike.  Which is why my 1975 bike has an F2 frame and F2 red tank.
It's not exactly like a car where the chassis IS the car.  On a bike the frame is just one component.   Not the legal opinion, just mine.  Go for it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:01:49 PM by mike the bike »
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2016, 07:18:54 AM »
Finding a frame to cut is not proving easy, Mike. By the time I've looked at the cost plus getting it here, it still stacks up to money I don't have.

It will just have to stay parked until the right donor comes along. In the meantime I am looking through the garage for sale items to raise the cash!

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2016, 05:59:46 PM »
Restorations have a way of sucking the life out of you sometimes and I must admit that the condition of your Dad's bike does look very bad and if there was no sentimental value you'd drop it just like anyone else.
Anyway, what I wanted to say is this, on at least two of the restorations I've done, there was always a problem that I thought at the time was game over or I'd just had it up to the back teeth but somehow, it all came together in the end.
I'm sure the right frame or decision will come along and, in my experience, you'll look back one day and the situation you're in now will seem quite insignificant.
If it was easy everyone would be doing it, but it isn't which is why they're not. I've often had people say to me 'wow, I just don't know how you do it' but the answer is easy. It's not necessarily technical skill that gets the job done but sheer bloody perseverance. For me that's what a restoration is about, the willingness to drag something back to it's former glory when no one else will.
I think the value of your Dad's old bike is not in pound notes but as a platform for you and your Daughter to share something special ie. the memory of your Dad and the life lessons she'll learn from watching you persevere are priceless.

Anyway, pep talk over. Crack on mate. 8)
Peter.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »
Well said.  I've forgotten all the grief I went through, but it was well worth it.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
Looking at your frame, the repairs would seem much easier than getting a different one, The sidestand mount and frame tube is easy to sort. The bent frame tube can be pushed back out easily, the tube dent not so easy but welding on a slide hammer and pulling the dent out as far as possible then a bit of filler will work without weakening the frame.

Pity you're a distance away, I'd do it for a pack of beer.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
Cheers Peter, I have a couple of irons in the fire, but nothing to fruition yet. Good to get the advice of those who have been there and come out the other side and it's all helping get me back on track, thanks.

Tomb, I have to say that if that's a genuine offer, I'd gladly take you up on it if you are a welder. I am up and down the length and breadth of the country regularly, so never many weeks away from being able to make a drop off or pick up!  ;D

Hoping to get some work done at the weekend on some prepping for blasting. Maybe wheels and fork legs, not sure yet.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
Sh!t!!! me and my big gob hahahaha

Edited as this is Pops thread  ;)

It would be a good idea to put the forks and wheels back in quickly just to check alignment before doing any frame repairs, once we're happy its good the repairs can be done. Clean everything up and slot just the forks and wheels in, don't need anything else on.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:27:20 AM by Tomb »
Tom
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »
Good looking work!  8)

Tell you what, I'll only hold you to it if I can't find a work around before then. If I am still stuck in the spring, you've got the job, how's that.  ;D

Incredibly good of you if you do manage to help. Thank you. This is quite the place I have stumbled across here. Many good people!

As an aside, I've been a regular at Santa Pod and Shakey since I was young, so would be interested in the drag bike details. I'm a Mopar man at heart.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2016, 09:29:36 AM »
There are some great people here, some have helped me, so I'm simply putting something back in.

PM'd you Pop  :D
Tom
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal