Author Topic: 75 CB400 "Dad's old bike" project  (Read 33248 times)

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
  • I haven't a clue what I'm doing...
    • View Profile
Re: 75 CB400 "Dad's old bike" project
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments. Glad its of interest to people.
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
Got a couple of hours in today without my helper, she decided a Princess Party was a better offer.

So I thought I'd take some demolition tools with me and get medieval on that damn rear mudguard to get it out. I can sum the day in one word, to be fair. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

I lost 2 hours of my life to 2 bolts. 2 HOURS!!! And I think I have broken a bone in my hand in the process.  >:(

I tried heat, chiselling, tried clearing enough room to shear the bolt. Nothing. Ended up (after missing my target and clouting my hand with a hammer - hence the breakage...) having to drill in stages into the retaining nuts to try and split them. Even that ended up in several broken bits and a lot of swearing. Even after I split them, they were so rusted to the bolts I couldn't just split them off! Never come across anything like it.

Anyway, eventually got the damn things off and I have never felt such a wave of triumph in all my days. The small victories, eh?

I know this will look ridiculous to the serious engineers amongst you, but what an absolute ball-ache this was.

Drilling...
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

One of the little bleepers out! I can't believe I lost an hour each to these things!

MUDGUARD OUT! I feel triumphant.  ;D

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 08:28:20 PM »
FOR SALE :

One rear mudguard, recently removed. Only reason for selling is surplus to rquirements as I'm going cafĂ© racer. Showing a few signs of wear, but should buff up fine. Looks like it may have a couple of small pinholes, hard to tell in the light. Serious enquiries only, no time wasters. Open to offers.  ;D

Pinholes...

Picture of it fitted to the bike, for reference. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
After a victory like that, my hand was bugging me, it was freezing and there was biblical rain, so I consoled myself with really digging around to asses some more of the scale of the project. I had been hoping to salvage the indicators for sale or swap, but they are in a horrible state.  :( To the tip they go methinks.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2016, 08:37:05 PM »
It's really starting to hit me the state this thing is in. The general corrosion is terrible. Look at the headlamp brackets, they are so soft and gone a screwdriver just ripped a channel into them.  :(

General corrosion. This is pretty much the whole bike.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »
Swinging arm is finished in a beautiful shade of Hammerite blue.  :o

My real woes are at the front end. Forks and legs are looking beyond repair to me.

I know all this stuff is replaceable, but I never set out to buy a bike 1 piece at a time and just bolt it all together, so it will be a hell of a challenge figuring out what can be saved and how. At least now I can see the rear of the frame clearly, I can start visualising how it will look with the seat and rear.

Front end woes...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 08:52:37 PM »
Last one from me today. Ended the afternoon on a high. I discovered a box of bits that came with the bike, that had got buried in the move. The side panels are in there and look in good nick, other than the brown paint...

But the real bonus is... the missing bit of the muffler was in there, lovingly packed away!  ;D   :-X

Oh well. Off to Shepton tomorrow with the Girl to see what inspiration and motivation I can get.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2016, 10:56:28 AM »
I had been hoping to salvage the indicators for sale or swap, but they are in a horrible state.  :( To the tip they go methinks.
Make sure you keep those mounting brackets.
They are a silly price if you want to replace them, they are specific to the 400/4.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »
Thanks Chris, didn't realise. Going to have a go at cleaning it all up just in case anyway.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2016, 07:35:16 PM »
No inspiration as such from the show, no CB400's there at all, but the girl got something she really wanted, a patch she chose herself to cover the "babyish" tractor on her overalls, so she was happy.  ;D

She's officially a sohc fan and mechanic.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2016, 12:20:04 AM »
Ok, so to top all the other problems I have going on, I found out tonight I may be losing my storage in the next couple of weeks.

Normal update service will be resumed after a brief gap once I have found somewhere to re-house. The car may have to go, but the bike is staying. Somehow...

Offline Aly-b

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2016, 01:22:23 AM »
Have to say I admire your determination,you and your apprentice certainly have a job on your hands. :)

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2016, 06:19:17 PM »
Thanks Aly-B.

Well, came to a bit of a dead stop yesterday after a bit of time off. So much frustration at nothing coming off in one piece and a lot of head scratching, so turned to work on the car to get some thinking time.

Here's where I'm at...

I feel like I can't progress until I can resolve the seat issue, but I'm struggling to find any serious detail on any threads or websites I can find. I see a lot of " and here's my seat hoop fitted" , but no real detail. I'm trying to figure out how this all fits together. I had planned to use the original fittings and possibly the base from the two four seat, but Now I can't see that working for a cafe, as there would be fittings sticking out all over the place. So do I need to decide on a seat first, so I can offer it up and measure for hoops, or are they some sort of standard size? How do folks fit the seats to the hoop bases?

I'm starting to consider a brat seat with a removable hump of some sort, but need to get my head round what the considerations are for mounting, battery tray ideas, welding etc. Even stuff like what brackets can be removed and what needs to stay.

I can find loads of pics of finished bikes, but can't find any to view. Nothing at all at Shepton Mallet and can't find any 400 cafe racers to view, so I'm struggling. Very much the kind of guy who gets stuff more in the flesh than from reading.

I could use some sound advice before I get much further, as I want to have the frame properly finished before I go painting or coating, so I know I'm only going to do it once.

Anyone close enough who wouldn't mind me having a look at something finished?

Also interested in centre stands, or lack of. Most cafes I see in pics seem to have dispensed with them. What are general thoughts? Any other frame things to consider that you guys can help point out?

20 questions I know, but I want to get this right and would genuinely appreciate the input now to get it right first time. Be gentle, It's my first bike build...

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 06:22:50 PM by Pops400 »

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »
Got a couple of hours in today without my helper, she decided a Princess Party was a better offer.

So I thought I'd take some demolition tools with me and get medieval on that damn rear mudguard to get it out. I can sum the day in one word, to be fair. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

I lost 2 hours of my life to 2 bolts. 2 HOURS!!! And I think I have broken a bone in my hand in the process.  >:(

I tried heat, chiselling, tried clearing enough room to shear the bolt. Nothing. Ended up (after missing my target and clouting my hand with a hammer - hence the breakage...) having to drill in stages into the retaining nuts to try and split them. Even that ended up in several broken bits and a lot of swearing. Even after I split them, they were so rusted to the bolts I couldn't just split them off! Never come across anything like it.

Anyway, eventually got the damn things off and I have never felt such a wave of triumph in all my days. The small victories, eh?

I know this will look ridiculous to the serious engineers amongst you, but what an absolute ball-ache this was.

Drilling...
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

One of the little bleepers out! I can't believe I lost an hour each to these things!
(Attachment Link)

MUDGUARD OUT! I feel triumphant.  ;D
(Attachment Link)

Buy a grinder,thin cutting blades and a full face mask mate and your two hrs couldve been two minutes
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 07:44:51 PM »
I know, I've got to invest one of these days, but budget is non existent, so relying on grazed knuckles an swearing.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal