Author Topic: CB750 PRIMARY CHAINS  (Read 1627 times)

Offline captaink

• Old racers never die. ' they just go faster '
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
CB750 PRIMARY CHAINS
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:03:06 AM »
Hi all,
Question.... Are all CB750 primary chains the same ?
I'm replacing them on my Rickman 750 F2 engine but the serial number of the engine doesn't tally with David Silvers records, possibly as it was a Rickman built bike.
Engine says F2........ number and bike was registered in 1979
I would assume they are all the same but others may know better !
Any assistance appreciated

Regards
Keith
CR750 Replica
Norton Manx's 1947 & 1956
Norton CS1 1930
Norton International  1934
Norton 16H 1924
Norton Model 18 1929
Norton Commando / Colorado Norton Works
Triumph 1947 GP Replica
Triumph Bonniville 1967
BSA Goldstar Daytona 1956
Harley Duo Glide 1961
The Rickman project
And the CR dick Mann replica project
Sold a few of the Bikes so only got these left
Gt40...Car I know
E type fhc 1964... Car I know

" Greedy I Know

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 PRIMARY CHAINS
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:58:52 AM »
As far as I am aware all chains on the SOHC CB750  engines are the same EXCEPT the auto which has a Hyvo 'Morse' chain. Sometimes people quote the Tsubaki (OEM)  ref not the Honda ref or a pattern number. unless of course Rickman fitted an up-rated part on their engines. that's one for the Rickman boys on here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:00:39 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline pewe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
CycleX in USA and Classic City Cycles in Germany offer heavy duty primary chains. These have been discussed in the other SOHC forum.
I can't find a new bike replacing my old CB750

Offline westfieldandy

• View Profile
    • good-bits
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
I have seen first hand the damage broken chains and failed primary rubbers do to an engine. so for peace of mind I would consider some hd ones.

If your engine is standard then ok not so much of a concern.

The 'smith honda cr'  never actually broke a chain in our 3 year go at the uk championships, but we always used new hd chains when we rebuilt the motor.

But once we started churning out 95hp things really started to let go.  Primary rubbers disintegrated, which caused the chains to jump a tooth, which broke one of them, which in turn tore all the teeth off the crank, and also cracked a liner. people have lost cases to broken chains i am told.   but this bike is putting out a lot more torque, and that torque is being used all the time, not just a squirt away from the lights, so keep things in perspective.

our first season we used new standard ones, but we also ony had 76 hp and less torque.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal