Author Topic: goldwing project  (Read 8557 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: goldwing project
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 08:39:46 AM »
Just working on my mates 1200 trike and all the wings can have a charging problem, you need to check for AC voltage with a multimeter on al three pairs of yellow wires coming from the alternator (3 wires make 3 pairs) all three readings should be the same, the one I'm working on has one pair low voltage even though all three pairs seem to give the same resistance.

The reason they give trouble is that the generator is going flat out all the time and all the regulator does is dump current to earth when the battery voltage is up.

As the engine has to come out to swap the stator is worth checking as soon as you can

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 12:44:45 PM »
cheers Bryan will check as the wiring has been butchered in the past
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 08:03:09 PM »
lots of work been done and its back in one piece but having some issues with running. for the first few seconds when it starts with choke it sounds ok but soon seems to go off, in fact the two cylinders on the left don't seem to be firing as I can remove both H T leads with no change in the running.( they are on two different coils). things checked are: carbs cleaned and rebuilt, new cambelts renewed and timed correctly, new Honda points plate, gapped and timing spot on, new plugs. I did sync the carbs but difficult with the uneven running. I also checked compression which is similar on all cylinders, also checked and adjusted valve clearance. today took carbs off again and found a sticky piston, but no change in the symptoms. so a bit stuck, I still think its fuel related, I am using a remote tank with clean fuel. Any experts out there?

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 10:06:43 PM »
Hi Mick,

I know little about Goldwings except, like others, I always liked the originals. Only just caught up with this thread and laughed out loud when I read you started it and it was loud... not something I've ever associated before with a 'Wing!

Keep at it and good luck with the resto.

Cheers, D.
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 09:31:47 AM »
Thanks oddjob yes they are a bit different to the other fours, I cant sync them until I get it running reasonably.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »
If you're sure it's not running on all the cylinders as you've done by taking the HT leads off, then spray some carb cleaner or easy start down the non running carbs and see if it fires them then. This doesn't correct anything but shows if you have ignition and helps separate your further work into either carbs or sparks and gets you going in the right direction.

Alternatively get a long thin clear plastic pipe and suck some petrol into it then blow it down the non running carbs to see if it fires those cylinders while it's running on the others. Same deal really, just lets you know if you are not getting fuel from that carb drawn into the engine.

Another quick and dirty check, fire it up for about 15 secs then turn it off, spit on your thumb and touch each exhaust header, soon tells you're which one's have fired.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
Turned out to be the condencer now running on 4 cyls, just a few jobs left ready for mot test.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »
Thought I had cured this but now back on 3 cyls, it is definitely a spark problem, one coil supplies number 3/4 cylinders and has intermittent spark on only one lead! It looks like the leads are good but maybe broken internally? how can I check a coil, I have a cheap multimeter but don't know how. Ash will know!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 02:52:55 PM »
Thought I had cured this but now back on 3 cyls, it is definitely a spark problem, one coil supplies number 3/4 cylinders and has intermittent spark on only one lead! It looks like the leads are good but maybe broken internally? how can I check a coil, I have a cheap multimeter but don't know how. Ash will know!

Not familiar with Goldwing Coils but if similar to the in-line fours measure resistance between the two metal parts in the suppressor caps. It should be around 15k Ohms depending on the resistance of the caps (if any). Once you get a stable reading, wiggle both leads and look for an open circuit occurring intermittently. If unstable, remove caps and cut back insulation a few mm to reveal bare new strands and repeat test. If still intermittent you need replacements or my repair detailed here:

sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,10269.msg79831.html#msg79831

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 03:46:15 PM »
Mick. One other option to consider is if it does turn out to be a bad HT cable, and it's not broken at the interface with the coil body, you could use one of these to splice in a new HT lead? Saves replacing the full coil unit. Not sure if you have space on the Gl1000 though to do it? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400874941036

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
A coil only firing one of the pair is something i have never heard of, wing carbs can be a swine to clean--nearly as bad as the F2 ones. I would suspect cap and or plug and carb before coil. I also seem to remember the wing uses ballasted coils

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
Thanks for replies guys, I have been in garage this afternoon, decided to replace the original coils and recheck everything. So to begin with I didn't seem to be getting a spark from one coil, when I attached my strobe no flash and that's why I suspected the coil. Then I swapped the two coils over and bugger me the fault stayed the same, it seemed to transfer to the other coil!. Now I suspected the LT side of things so checked each thing then ran the motor each time with no real improvement. I did get a spark on all cylinders and it did run better but spitting and bad throttle response. Really fed up but thought I would try synchronizing the carbs, as Bryan said they are a little different to the SOHC carbs, and as I adjusted the balance between the left and right banks the engine started to rev higher and sounded much better. After a bit of fiddling I now have a much better and smoother bike. Not sure what the problem was but think it was a combination of things. A happy bunny!

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »
Now think I'm ready for test, not sure if I will leave it until after the winter as I'm not insured. as usual took much longer than I thought but here are some pics.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 09:19:16 AM »
runs well now

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »
Might as well get it insured Mick, classic insurance on that will be peanuts and you'd be covered on fire and theft if you don't already have "laid up" insurance.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal