Author Topic: swingarm help  (Read 7291 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: swingarm help
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
I've used for things like this a SDS hammer drill on which you can stop the rotary action, used on old drill bit the tip had worn out and grind the end square or some profile you can get to engage the inside edge of the bearing and it'll take most things out that are hard to get any healthy hammer blow to.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:01 PM »
I like that idea nigel
pete

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 08:10:56 PM »
Yay Pete, I kinda stumbled into that one.

Friend came round with a bit of his car suspension with a long bolt well and truly stuck inside forged alloy,  everybody had already had a go with hammers,  heating it, tried to drill out and finally snapped a hardened pin punch inside it! So we tried anything I'd got and we ended up deciding it was probably scrap. He'd packed it away and we were sitting round talking about other stuff when I thought about using the hammer drill which got it out. We were dancing round like a couple of idiots at our success, I was wondering why I'd never made the connection before.

Maybe I should put it over on hints and tips to make it more visible as it's worked on anything I've found a need since,  if you turned up various drift sizes and weld them to old SDS bits you can knock anything out much easier than using a hammer. Last used to get a washing machine drum bearing out for a neighbour which was so tight it was ringing like big Ben.

Offline onethumb

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 07:01:06 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for the tips along the way. Going to try and give something back with some pics. Did it this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"20 in a 40 is not safe driving"

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
That sounds like a good wheeze.   The next time I'm stuck, I'll try the SDS method.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 07:24:07 AM »
Thtas the newer style unobtainable collar but you can fit the earlier one

Offline onethumb

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »