Author Topic: 400/4 rev counter drive in rocker cover  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
400/4 rev counter drive in rocker cover
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:03:06 PM »
Hello All,

Another busy day in the man cave today, the parts washer must be on the verge of overheating considering the amount of use its getting this week!

I have now assembled the cylinder head and rocker cover, I was lucky as I had 24 rockers to choose from and 12 rocker shafts that came with the 'Project' boxes.  Strangely enough I used one specific set from one of the old rocker covers including the shafts. I did notice the rockers in one cover had casting marks of 333 47 or 333 52 (the set I used). Is it therefore the case that all the rockers have to have the same casting (or batch?) numbers?

I have suffered a slight problem with brain fade regarding how to install the rev counter drive back into the rocker cover.  It was in pieces when I bought it as part of the project.  Looking at the parts diagram the 'sleeve' that fits over the worm drive has a 'c'clip about 4mm from the end. On top of the sleeve fits the washer followed by the seal.  My question is, how do I install the worm drive in the 'sleeve' into the rocker cover if the 'c' clip is in place? I tried to install it with the c -clip fitted and it does go into the rocker casting but not all the way home, about 8mm is left protruding from the casting stopping the washer and seal being fitted.  I don't want to tap the drive home as this is likely to end in tears and a broken rocker casting.  The spare rocker casting I have has a big lump missing form the rev counter drive housing and I don't want my newly blasted casting to go the same way.
Is there a special technique to installing these, the Haynes manual just says to install it but does not advise how :-\

Tomorrow I'm off to J D Autoworks for a glaze bust following some excellent advice from Bryanj, Thank you Bryanj  :)

Regards
Dave
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 rev counter drive in rocker cover
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:36:42 PM »
Thank you for the link to the previous threads Chris.  I read them this morning, made a cuppa and went into the man cave with new enthusiasm.  5 minutes later the rev counter drive was in along with the seal!  The oil seal went in very easily, I was expecting to have to drift it in but it went in with very little resistance although I did oil it well before installing it.
Job done, tick VG :)
Dave
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal