Author Topic: Fork rebuild question - stuck in spring and damer assembly  (Read 1090 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Fork rebuild question - stuck in spring and damer assembly
« on: February 15, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »
I was stripping and rebuilding my forks over the week end. One went fine but the other one not...

Basically I cuold not pull out the spring and damper assembly even though i undid the screw at the bottom.

The thing seems to be just wedged somehow in the tube but there is no dents or damage to the tube at all.

In the end I just replaced the fork seal and changed the oil and then left it as is and all seems to be working OK,  but I just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem anytime.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:44:46 PM by paulbaker1954 »
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Fork rebuild question - stuck in spring and damer assembly
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
 Maybe it has had a later replacement on one side, the early ones have a threaded rod between the top nut and damper which the later ones dont, also the tubes and dampers changed, early will come out the bottom later have to go upwards

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fork rebuild question - stuck in spring and damer assembly
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »
Both sides have the threaed rod so are early ones (not surprising as its a K0) bike). The RHS the whole damper and spring unit just lifted out after unding the bottom allen screw.

The LHS will just not lift out and seems just to be stuck somehow.

I didnt try screwing the bottom screw back in a bit and whacking it up or addng some heat to the outer tube by the way.

As I said the damper seems to be working OK so just renewed the seal and put it back together.

As I said just wanted to be belt and braces that this cant lead to an accident scenario. :o :o :o

Very odd as I cant think how it could get so stuck down there !!
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal