Author Topic: 'Triple' plated Honda Chrome plated parts  (Read 1858 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
'Triple' plated Honda Chrome plated parts
« on: February 14, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »
Is it just my observation but the only Honda parts I ever see that are 'Triple' plated chrome (i.e with a copper base layer) are the ones which pit really badly, which you would have thought would not be the case if Brit bike chroming is anything to go by. The parts so far I have encountered that are plated like this are fork top nuts, CV diaphragm carb top covers, CB500K0 rear lamp bracket, CB250 gear lever link bar. Maybe it's just that these are prone to have standing water on them but not the 500 lamp bracket. BTW if you get chrome stripped by reverse plating at an electroplaters, the chromic acid does not remove the base copper plate but I bought some Ammonia cleaning fluid from the £1 shop (or 99p shop) and if you leave the parts dipped in it for a few hours this removes the copper ... no electricity involved, & the ammonia turns a nice blue.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:19:26 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
Re: 'Triple' plated Honda Chrome plated parts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:57:53 AM »
Cot you do like your chemicals Ash
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:40:47 PM »
& the ammonia turns a nice blue.

Tetra-amino copper complex ion.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »
& the ammonia turns a nice blue.

Tetra-amino copper complex ion.

Ha Ha nice one  and they call me an anorak  ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:27 AM »
Chemistry teacher.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
Chemistry teacher.

Ah I see now.  I had a narrow escape from becoming a Physics/chemistry teacher.. the b*ggers would have run me ragged  :)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 03:15:49 PM »
I have the misfortune to know my wifes cb250 nighthawk has a copper layer under the forks chrome. Things wore through to the steel underneath in under 30k miles, not a favourable comparrison to my 500/4 that has done about 8 times the milage, with a sidecar to wear them out faster. The other significant difference is the fork gaiters. I may have been told a few times that they look uncool, but if they are part of the reason those forks lasted so well, bring em on. Form vs function, for me everyday useability has to win out every time. To be fair to Honda chrome, the mudguards on mine have consistently gone down to a wafer thin layer of chrome and taken 40 years to get there.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal