Author Topic: The DVLA said what???????????  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
The DVLA said what???????????
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »
Bought my Honda a year ago off the internet from a bloke in Liverpool. Absolute leap of faith. Got the bike and had a great year on it. Stupidly never checked the VIN number on the frame when it was delivered. Took it for an MOT last week, but didn't get through the first step of identifying the bike because someone had filed the VIN number off before I received it. Delivery to me was two days after it had been MOT'd in Liverpool where the tester obviously hadn't bothered about the missing VIN. Being an honest bloke I rang up the DVLA and asked what to do next. The conversation went....  DVLA -  "Do you have a V5 with the VIN number in it?"  Me - "yes". DVLA - "Does the engine number match the one on the bike?" Me - "Yes". DVLA - "well get the VIN number in the V5 re-stamped onto the frame". Me - speechless. Anyhow that's what I did and I now have a full MOT and a bike that I assume nobody will doubt it's legitimacy. One can only assume that the DVLA and the police have absolutely no interest in the true identification of a 40 year old bike, but the message is clear - beware what you buy and check the VIN on the bike.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:06:26 PM by Ashdowner »
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: The DVLA said what???????????
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »
Are you aware that a new frame does not come with a VIN number, so are you sure that it had been ground off? I do a lot of work within the VOSA system and you don't need a VIN number to be stamped on the frame. It states that a vehicle needs to display a VIN number, that can be on a VIN plate or stamped into the frame ;) 

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 08:47:47 PM »
True.   I had to replace the frame on a C90.  It came without a VIN on it and I had to stamp the number on it.  The Polis that inspected my stamping complained that. a) it wasn't stamped deep enough and  b) I shouldn't have been riding it.  The Polis only got involved because I was trying to get a newer plate issued.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 09:54:24 PM »
Aha. Thanks for the replies. I'm wiser. But I'm pretty sure that this one has been ground off.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 04:30:33 AM »
That probably means it has had an old frame fitted to replace a bent? one

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 07:23:09 AM »
Or it's nicked. ;)
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal