Author Topic: Cb400 Four silencer advice  (Read 4428 times)

Offline ColCB400 4

• View Profile
Cb400 Four silencer advice
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »
I bought a silencer for my 400/4 from ds last year and it sounds lame.
Anyone know of a supplier offering a better sounding silencer.
don't want to re-jet or tinker at all just unbolt the old one and fit the new.
Prefer similar styling to standard but happy to look at anything that sounds more the part.
I have a standard set of Honda downpipes.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Cb400 Four silencer advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »
Not sure what silencer you bought but the only pattern one available is the Brituro, as sold by David Silver and available on ebay from a number of sellers. It's about £100.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »
You could try something like this but you would need to check the diameter of the collector outlet for fit. I would have thought that jetting would probably be OK but as with any change there is no guarantee of this and someone else may know better than me.
http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/dunstall-decibel-style-silencer-38mm.html

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:41:59 PM »
I bought the DSS one and not impressed. as it was a replica I thought it would be the same but it is louder and I didnt want that.
I bought it so I could store the original as it is mint.
Wish I had gone with the Motad replica one now (stainless too)

Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:10:27 PM »
I bought another 400four a while ago while my engine blew up.   This bike had the original headers with a Marshall silencer.   On my 25 trip to work and back I noticed that the power isn't what it should be.  Whereas my original 400four would do an indicated 106mph down the Cowbridge bypass, downhill of course., this other one struggled to manage 85.
One day, the Marshall fell off en route and the power was instantly restored. 
Lesson learnt.   Sporty sounding. =  bad.  Lame sounding  = good.

I know that's a bit simplistic but IMHO, Honda got it right.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 07:08:59 PM »
I bought the DSS one and not impressed. as it was a replica I thought it would be the same but it is louder and I didnt want that.
I bought it so I could store the original as it is mint.
Wish I had gone with the Motad replica one now (stainless too)

Must be down to baffling inside. Joe from Brituro is a member on here and very amenable. If the baffling isn't correct then maybe someone can point him in the right direction to reduce the noice as per the Sankei original. The Yamiya one is the same Brituro one but costs a fortune once reimported.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:14:45 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:10:55 PM »
Remember the short reverse cone dunstalls sounding good on 400/4 back in the day. Didn't they have a nut inside cone to adjust baffle?

Probably sound awful to me now as a grumpy old man!!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »
seem to remember 'back in the day' that a firm called Campbell's made a pattern 400/4 silencer ... And no it wasn't a soup can  ;D
Our  mate BP says he likes the DS (brituro) pattern silencer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB400F-400-Four-400-4-OE-new-exhaust-system-with-new-pattern-silencer-/391400019520?hash=item5b21425640:g:LbgAAOSwmmxW3EDN
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:08:17 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline ColCB400 4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
I measured another collector box I have and its 42mm od, and they do a dunstall which could fit but they seem to sell in pairs... might ring them.
Thank you Paul Gledhill for confirming my suspicions, I am glad its not just me. I don't want loud just a deeper sound, I know the bike can do it. My last silencer just had to go and the replacement is not cheering me up like it should.

@ Mike the bike, I do agree to some extent, your motad was just killing the thing, it must have felt like it was pulling a car.

I have read somewhere some chap took out the muffling and replaced it with some good stuff but these silencers are sealed.

Think I will be ringing ClassicBikeShop tomorrow... thanks guys.

Offline Brituro

• View Profile
    • Brituro
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:11:31 AM »
I bought a silencer for my 400/4 from ds last year and it sounds lame.
Anyone know of a supplier offering a better sounding silencer.
don't want to re-jet or tinker at all just unbolt the old one and fit the new.
Prefer similar styling to standard but happy to look at anything that sounds more the part.
I have a standard set of Honda downpipes.

Hi Col

Can you elaborate on the "lame sound" please. All of our silencers are made to original spec so the sound should be the same. This is the first I have ever heard of this issue, and normally if there is an issue we hear about it straight away. This silencer is made in batches of 50+ and we have had no problems with any others.

Have you tried another silencer on to see if it it producing the same sound?
Brituro Exhausts Ltd
http://www.brituro.com/
Joe@brituro.co.uk
0121 356 2228

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:03 AM »
Joe,

Mine definitely sounds different to the standard one (louder pop) difficult to describe it really.
It has also created a small flat spot around 3k.
Can't elaborate any further due to the bike being stored since Aug last year.
The silencer was purchased just before that if it helps I will find the receipt from silvers.

Regards,

Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »
Has anyone got a scrap rotted out silencer for us to disect to see what the internals are like. I don't mind doing tests as I have all the gear to do back pressure & flow testing as we make air motors where I work part-time and we have loads of test facilities. We also have sound measuring gear. I have a NOS standard Sankei silencer to compare with the Brituro one.

Must say that Joe has gone beyond what most other manufacturers would do to assist me with my CB250 twins, so a massive thank you from me Joe.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 07:37:47 PM »
I have a rotted out silencer Ash. It has a hole at the end next to the weld where the shallow reverse cone is fitted.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline ColCB400 4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 08:30:14 PM »
@Brituro, The exhaust is fine, no jetting problems, power issues and looks the part but dosnt have that slightly deeper sound I got from my old Honda silencer.

I have been out on the road today, with my open helmet on (I get to hear better) and it wasn't sounding that bad to be honest but I just recall a deeper note.

Wish I didn't get rid of my old one to the scrap bloke :(

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 10:33:35 PM »
@Brituro, The exhaust is fine, no jetting problems, power issues and looks the part but dosnt have that slightly deeper sound I got from my old Honda silencer.

I have been out on the road today, with my open helmet on (I get to hear better) and it wasn't sounding that bad to be honest but I just recall a deeper note.

Wish I didn't get rid of my old one to the scrap bloke :(

I will PM joe at Brituro and see what he wants to do. May be the baffling slightly different.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal